Wednesday, July 8, 2015

T. Graham Brown and the Nudes Sunbathing in Sanibel Pines


            I wrote my song "Sanibel" sitting at my kitchen table one night alone with a cup of coffee. My family has been there many times together, and I suppose I was just thinking about the beach that evening. Oddly enough, I wrote the bridge to the song at an old movie house while watching "The Ghost and Mr. Chicken". (I know that's weird...)

            I arrived in Nashville with a really cool rhythm groove. We sort of built on it at the studio and hoped we could get a solid sounding, dimensional mix. Having T. Graham Brown work on the song was unbelievable for me. He and his wife are such kind and gentle people. When he belted out his parts, it gave me chills. I'm telling you, that as a writer, there is nothing like having a country music legend sing your words. It just doesn't get any better.

            T. Graham Brown is just a fun-loving, gentle man. We worked hard while in the studio. I remember feeling a little sorry for him though when he asked me where Sanibel was. He didn't get the reference to the Australian pines at first. I told him the backstory about the pines.

            My oldest daughter Emily was still in diapers when I took her for a walk down the beach at Sanibel. I saw some pines down the beach about half a mile away. I thought they would be great taking pictures of my beautiful baby daughter. So, I walked the beach holding her little hand, constantly looking down to be certain she wouldn't hurt her little feet on a sharp shell or jellyfish, etc. We arrived at the fallen pines, and I climbed over them with her. I looked around stunned trying to figure out exactly what was out of place. I realized I had accidentally walked into a nude bathing area. At that precise moment, an older man and woman came up to me asking a question about something. I only remember staring at the man's hat... good times.

            Anyway, back to Mr. Brown. I told him that I thought some of his work had been perfect. He had incorporated a Memphis feel into some of his music, and I have always felt his vocal delivery was awesome.

            I remember my mom and dad went to see him years ago, and my dad talked about how cool T. Graham Brown was.  

            You can download my "Sanibel" video at https://youtu.be/OK_fIxfmycY

           (To learn more about country artist Scott Coner or to download his music and videos, visit www.ScottConer.com.)

1 comment:

  1. I remember it well. Scott wrote a killer song and he and T turned in stellar performances which everyone immediately loved.

    ReplyDelete