Sunday, July 26, 2015

Scott Coner: 'I Count Myself Incredibly Blessed to be a Songwriter'



By Scott Coner
Singer, Songwriter and Author


            When do you need to throw in the towel if you're involved in the music business?

            The better question is, "Why would you throw in the towel if you love what you are doing?"

            Like countless other songwriters, I have spent far too much time asking myself if I can make it one more step. But the truth is, if you are a writer or musician, you already know the answer to the question. The writer has a different perspective of the world that he or she lives in. It may be words thrown around a coffee shop, it may be a movie or a book, might even be a sunset. But the world will give you something to write about.

            I count myself so incredibly blessed to be a songwriter. The way I see it, we are given the chance to actually speak and be heard. Our words might promote healing in someone's heart. They might push someone a little farther in love. We might even be helping people get a little closer to God. Just ask yourself what you would rather be doing than chasing songs down? Personally, I can't think of anything. But this may be because I don't play golf.

            I was recently given a chance to play at a songwriters night in Nashville called "Tunesmithing". I sat there waiting my turn, scared to death at first. I had arrived earlier that afternoon and my guitar was like an oven from sitting in the truck all afternoon. I tuned it down a little bit, so I didn't break any strings and took my turn. The fear left quickly as I began to realize I was amongst friends and loving people. I can only relate it to the feeling you may get when you are in church and you stand up to testify about what God is doing in your life. It just felt good.

Scott Coner Performs at "Tunesmithing"
            That evening, I sat in the back of the room watching and listening as these people played some of their songs. Now I have daughters at home, so I watch more than my share of the Hallmark Channel, but more than once I had to stop myself from tearing up. As each artist played their songs, it just felt so comfortable and personal, and real. I felt incredibly indebted to each of them for allowing me to be part of something so nice and pure.

            Maybe we get a little bit too caught up in trying to accomplish certain things within the industry itself and temporarily lose sight of what is golden. I know I sometimes do, and it bothers me that I would allow something like that to happen. I sometimes forget why I wrote the songs in the first place. The truth is that I simply enjoy the atmosphere that music provides. I love the people that I have met, I love the excitement music brings, I love Nashville, and I love being able to write, record, and share my songs with people.

            Some people take photos, some people make scrapbooks, some people write diaries and books. Me? I write songs. When I am dead and gone, I hope my grandchildren will take a ride in their rocket, and as they cruise the same country roads that I drove so many years before, they will remember me and what I loved and stood for. This matters to me, and I will never quit writing and playing as long as the good Lord allows me to.
           
            (To listen to Scott's songs and watch his videos, visit www.ScottConer.com or www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic.)

Scot gives a rousing performance at the Hard Rock Cafe in Nashville



No comments:

Post a Comment