Sunday, July 12, 2015

Scott Coner: Pursuing Music in Nashville Has Not Always Been Easy


           I suppose we all have a passion for something, and I would be lying to you if I said I haven't wished for a different one than music. It hasn't been the music itself that has caused the pain and disappointment. It has been the business side. In my world, Nashville has been the primary area I have worked out of. I have been in countless offices, far too many dinners and luncheons, and heard way too many false promises and lies to believe anything at this point.

          It's a shame to me that music is shadowed by such activity, but what doesn't have its dark side when there is money involved? I have made up my mind though, that I am happy in whatever music allows me to have. Writing and playing music for me, like so many others, gives me joy and feeds my soul in a pretty special way. Those days when a new song is written by my hand is still as fulfilling today as it was at 15 years old, and I have no no plans in quitting or allowing myself to become bitter.





          I have a new song and video being released this week called "Nashville Song". I was a little hesitant to allow anyone to hear it at first because it comes off a little self-centered, and I didn't mean for that to happen at all. I hope people will understand that sometimes we all need to channel our hurt as well as happiness in one way or another. I am a little older and hopefully wiser these days. I don't spend a lot of my time trying to write for whatever sound Nashville is looking for. I just write for me. Earlier today, I drove home from our family farm in Nancy, Ky. I walked around there and drank some coffee, thought about things a little bit. The fact is, I am what I am, and I will never change in order to fit anyone else's mold.

          I have been asked, and I am sure you have, too, "What 'brand' of music are you?" I don't know much about brands. What i know is that I grew up in a household committed to some very cool music, and we never called it anything but country. 


          (To learn more about country artist Scott Coner or to hear his music, visit www.ScottConer.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment