Sunday, July 19, 2015

Scott Coner Shares His Insights on the Shooting of an Online Concert


By Scott Coner
Country Artist

            (Note from Scott: I spent the day in Music City on July 16 recording songs for my upcoming online concert. I thought it might be interesting and helpful to fellow artists to share insights about the process.)

            I had made a recent, yet uninformed decision to begin a steady process of "live streaming" acoustic concerts from Nashville recording studios. It did, and still does make sense to reach out to the people who support my music and attempt to raise an overall awareness. The problem I found myself faced with though was the fact that, because it was a live show, it would be too easily missed. I decided instead to maintain the same theme, but "record" the concert and release it in fragments.

            My goal has been to allow people to "ride along" as I do what I do if they find this sort of thing interesting. I didn't want the songs to be too polished as we began the process of recording four songs. We played each song three times, and the best "take" will be the one we release. We recorded this particular time at Blu Grotto Sound Studios in Brentwood. (I love working there. Sean Spence and his wife are great people, and they have an awesome coffee machine, a beagle dog, and an outstanding facility.)

Scott Coner records songs in Nashville (Photo by Cyndi Coner)

            The players I worked with are not guys I have a long history with, but I am familiar with their work, and I respect them very much. Logan Schlegal is the one guy I always reach out to. He is one of those people I connected with early on and feel very committed to. Logan came to town as a very young kid with more natural knowledge than most producers around Nashville will have at the end of their careers. Logan engineers, co-produces, and helps with video and photography. He also knows music and understands that I don't want to sound like anybody else.

            We are still assembling what was recorded yesterday. It will be raw, but I am okay with that. This video will begin emerging late next week I suppose. My intention is not to try and impress people with showmanship. Instead, I hope that they will listen to the songs and understand and appreciate the attempt to go in a direction that is a little bit different. I just thought maybe it would be a good time to go with an organic acoustic approach. More than anything these days, I simply want to always remember what a true joy and honor it is to make music with some of the most talented people on the planet. If I ever lose sight of this, please smack me up the side of my head because I will surely have it coming.

            For more information about Scott Coner or to hear his music or watch his videos, visit www.ScottConer.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment