Sunday, June 28, 2015

Scott Coner Reflects On His Unforgettable Recording Day with Tanya Tucker


            (Artist's Note: This week, I'd like to share my experiences singing with legendary country singer Tanya Tucker. As some of you may know, Tanya was my duet partner on the song, "Maybe She Lied", which hit number one in England. Working with her was a remarkable experience.)

            I wrote my song, "Maybe She Lied", on a Takamine acoustic guitar. I wanted it to have a traditional feel that included a Floyd Cramer-style piano. Mark Moseley, a producer friend of mine, had worked with Tanya Tucker in the past, and I asked if he could reach out to her for me. He was kind enough to send the song to her. A few weeks went by, and I was on West End in Nashville when I got the call that she would be doing the song with me. I remember all of my feelings going from joy to a very deep fear very quickly that day. I remember asking myself what kind of idiot thinks he can actually stand up next to Tanya Tucker and sing?


Country artist Scott Coner records in Nashville
 (Listen to the number one song "Maybe She Lied" at https://soundcloud.com/scott-coner/02-maybe-she-lied-feat-tanya or visit the music page at Scott Coner's website: www.ScottConer.com.)
 

            She met me at the studio though, and all of my fear went away. I remember that she was very prepared, very nice, and very good. Her voice sounded like an angel that afternoon, and I knew right away that she had made the song a very special one. I don't listen to my own music much, but when I hear this song, it truly makes me smile all over inside.

            Tanya and I talked mostly about things that were related to the song. One discussion involved pronunciation of the word, "memory". She told me that George Jones had told her to always pronounce that word exactly how it sounds naturally because it was an important word. (Since then, I have noticed that George did not stand by his own advice in reference to that word... LOL.)

            There is no way I can thank Tanya Tucker enough for helping me, but I will always think of her as the "Queen of Country Music".

Connect with country artist Scott Coner at his FB page: http://www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I was there and it was exciting to see Scott's dream come true.

    ReplyDelete