Sunday, April 24, 2016

What's That In Your Hand?


By Scott Coner
Country Artist



            So, at 80 years old, Moses is having a discussion with God. He is trying to convince God to use someone else.

            “I have other plans. I don’t talk well. People don’t listen to me. I’m too old.”

            To be honest, I wish I had the type of a relationship with God to actually have an open conversation like that. But God, being God, already had all of the answers. He told Moses to throw his staff to the ground. When he did, the staff turned into a snake. God told him to pick it up by the tale, and when he did, it turned back into a staff

            I believe most of us are a bit like old Moses. We have spent most of our lives being something that God can’t use. He wants us to change, but in order to truly transform, we are going to have to step out of our comfort zones a little bit.


I've recorded a cover of the classic rock tune "Locomotion"...
Let's get moving... Use your talents!


            I had spent the first half of my life doing what came natural to me. Construction had always been my primary involvement. I had moved away from the field and into the office side of things several years ago. I had a good job, I made great money, and I was comfortable. The problem was, this is not what my heart was called to do. It’s awfully hard to be content when you know you aren’t doing what you are called to do. I began to move more in the general direction of my purpose though, and I began to finally feel more at peace and less at war with myself.

            I want to be clear in saying that even though I do certain songs promoting my faith as well as family and commitment, I am involved in a broad range of music. But, I believe God has plans for me. I don’t know what they are. I don’t care what they are. I will do what God will have me to do when He gives me direction, and I look forward to the opportunity. It is a good feeling to know that God is control and that I am just along for the ride.


 
Scott Coner with his dog (Photo by Cynnamae Productions)
 
            I wonder where you stand with your own direction these days. What are you holding in your hand? Is it a simple staff, or is it the gift of baking? Do you seem to feel at your best when surrounded by people? Do you have the gift of designing? Can you take a simple little house and turn it into a beautiful home? Are you gifted on the computer? What is that you are holding in your hand? We all have God-given gifts, talents that allow us to feel alive when we use them. Maybe it’s time that you finally admit that you do have a skill that could and should be used. You might also want to remind yourself of the happiness and fulfillment that your gift actually gives you when you allow it to be brought to life.

            I am no preacher, but I am a believer. I believe that if we take a step in faith, God will be there to meet us and to support us. I think that taking these steps also has a way of strengthening our relationship with God. All I can tell you is that so far, my music has brought a lot of surprises to me. I have met some great and talented people. I have seen cities and towns I never would have been able to see. I have also been able to go to places in my mind through the process of writing that I wouldn’t have pursued had it not been for the opportunities to write and record with others.

            I am positive as you read this you have already let your mind jump once or twice to that shady little corner in your soul where you keep your talent. I hope you will get off your couch and just go for it. Nobody is asking you to part the Red Sea or pick up a snake. Just dust off your talent, and offer it up. Let it become part of you again. You never know where you will end up or what you might find. And aren’t you glad that God didn’t give you ultra small hands so you could be good at milking wild badgers? 

            Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment