Sunday, April 17, 2016

The Wall


By Scott Coner
Country Artist

            It’s a "sight on earth" how self-made plans have a way of changing on their own. I arrived in Nashville hoping to be a songwriter. I felt that my songs were different than most. And even though I wasn’t sure if that was a good or a bad thing, I kind of used it as my calling card. One of the first guys I hired turned out to be quite a bit less than what he promised. I made the mistake of judging the book by its cover, and man was that a money and time waster. I, being the hayseed that I am, figured that since his name came to the top of the list if you googled his service, he must be a pretty good choice. He was middle aged, he had extremely nice suits, and he drove some of the finest sports cars I had ever seen. What could go wrong here? Well, to be honest, not much went right, but I finally stepped free of his storytelling and moved on.

            There have been several of those types of people since him -- The kind of people that tell you one thing, but do absolutely nothing but drive to the bank with your money as soon as you leave town. It’s heartbreaking really. It hurts you all over as you begin realizing that you have been ripped off again and again all in the name of music. I think these people may have started as honest as the next guy, but for whatever reason, they begin to realize that it is easier to steal from the innocent than actually do the right thing. I suspect they begin their Darth Vader type of existence because they don’t carry enough clout with the bigger players. So, if they are going to survive in Nashville, it will have to be on the take. 


My song/video "Nashville Song" was inspired by my experiences on Music Row


            I was one of the lucky ones. I watched the table pretty closely as the cards were dealt, and put a timer on each play. If the promises made didn’t begin to show some color within my own private allocated time, they were either put on notice or fired on the spot. The sorry truth about this type of approach is you can’t help but become cynical. You begin to question almost everything and everyone. You don’t realize it, but you begin to build a wall. And like the song says, all in all, you're just another brick in the wall.

            Before I found myself completely entombed with my self-constructed wall of sound, I began to seek a different type of clarification. I began considering other avenues, a whole new route to take. The first thing I began doing was wondering if maybe I could actually write and sing my own songs. I started taking a handful at a time into Nashville, and I decided I was going to take off where I quit several years ago. Things kind of started to get a little bit of traction, and a whole new concept was born. However, like about everything else on this planet, I still had more than my share of problems. Once again, my biggest problem was the crooks. They are thick like bluegill in a farm pond. No matter where you throw your line, they either steal the worm, or you land a fish half the size of a biscuit. The obvious decision was to begin using the white-collared criminals as bait. I began dropping their names everywhere I went. And like a miracle, they began to swim back to the safety of the shallow water because they were becoming exposed. Kind of like a cockroach, but the bug actually has a lot more class. 

 Scott Coner visits the Ryman Auditorium (Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)


            The music kept on coming. Before long, we were truly storming several studios bringing in all kinds of talent. Musicians are kind of like ball players. The best players really like playing and hanging out with each other. So as things began to gel, clarity began to take hold. I moved as quickly as possible, and continue to do so. Instead of trying to make a big splash around Nashville or shopping for a deal, I simply focused on writing, networking and recording whenever possible. My wife, Cynthia, and I worked hard at developing social networks, videos, songs and everything that a label is supposed to do for you. One day, I began taking note of all the songs that had been recorded and written, and I was taken back by the sheer volume. We had recorded years of releases. So instead of slowing down, we are speeding up even more. My plan is to shelf another album this summer, followed by another album in the fall. We will begin traveling everywhere early 2017 and then we might find time to rest. But then again, I wouldn’t mind booking studios around the country and see what that’s like. In the midst of this, I have also been working on a few books. Yes, I know what your thinking. Why does this guy think we want to hear his songs or for that matter read his books? I have no answer for you. I just got a little bit ticked off at the establishment in Nashville and decided to do what I came to do without their help. Like most things I do, it will probably end in a fiery crash, but the noise might be worth listening to. I just didn’t want to be another brick….

         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment