Sunday, April 10, 2016

All We Leave Behind


By Scott Coner
Country Artist


         When I think about a legacy, I think about the important things we leave behind. Those things that best describe who we are, who we were, what we stood for. Like you, I have seen my share of funerals. And it is certainly true that the older we get, the more opportunities we get to pay our final respects.

         These days when you walk into a funeral home, there is usually a television screen or two in the room on the outer walls that have a slideshow of the person’s life lying there in state. Sometimes, there might even be some music piped into the room that best represented the person’s life.

         One funeral that has always stayed with me was an old farmer who lived down the road from me. His name was “Junior”. He left behind three sons, two daughters, and his wife. This was and is a good family of farm people. Junior always used Case farm tractors on his farm. He was even a member of the antique tractor club in our area. Anyway, when I arrived at the funeral home on the evening of the “viewing”, I noticed both of Junior's Case tractors and a hay wagon were parked out back. I saw the slideshow about his life, his family, his commitment to the Baptist church, and I was overcome with warmth and respect for such a good man. Following the funeral the next day, Junior's casket was hoisted up onto the hay wagon and pulled back to our road to a small cemetery just down the road from me. When they lay Junior in the ground, some words were said, some bluegrass gospel was sung, and he was left to rest that afternoon. He had lived his life very well and left quite a legacy. His family still works the farm. 

Scott Coner's grandfather works the fields. (Photo provided by Scott Coner)

         My dad, Linville Coner, has accomplished about as much as any man I have ever known. He and my mom were married at 17 and 18 years old. They started with nothing. They both worked hard and saved every cent possible. My dad went through his electrical apprenticeship down in Ft. Myers, Florida, but in the early '60s, work was sparse in that part of the country. They moved to Indiana, but work slowed down again. Dad and his brother went to New York for two years and worked though the frigid winters and sent most of their paychecks back to their wives. Long story short, my dad worked his way up the ladder from an apprenticeship to one of the largest electrical outfits in the country. They didn’t just focus on volume either. They had millions of man hours worked without incident. They had many clients who stayed with them for years and years, and they had many employees who spent their careers with them. My dad and my uncle were an outstanding team. They are both strong and honest men. They lead by example. And when they retired, they walked away without owing anyone a single penny. Their work has affected our family for many generations to come. Quite a legacy if you ask me. 


Music Video: "Into The Clouds"

I wrote "Into the Clouds" on a Sunday Afternoon after leaving church. The promise of heaven is one that I believe in, but my heart struggles with the thought of one day passing from this earth and having to leave my family. I hope you all enjoy the song, and I hope you consider all of the love and acceptance Christ has offered all of us!


        When you think about your life, what is it that comes to mind? What stands out to you? What are you most proud of? Are you proudest of your children? Are you proud of your marriage? Are you proud of your career? These are certainly all things one could hang their hat on as far as a legacy goes. I, myself, can’t honestly sit here and tell you I have accomplished much in this world. Yes, I have helped raise two wonderful daughters. I have worked hard on my marriage. It almost fell apart because of me once, and I have never let my hand off of the wheel since. I am proud of what I have become. I have seen some very dark moments in my life. I have felt the breath of the devil at my back. But I forged ahead with my life and did my best to keep the most important components of my life in the center. I recognize that Christ is the center of all things, and I can accomplish little without His divine guidance.

Scott's wife, Cyndi (Photo by Scott Coner)
          So, all of this being said, my legacy truly is being a member of my family. I am a part of my grandparents on both sides of the aisle. I am a part of my mom and my dad. I am Cynthia’s husband. I am devoted to her, I lift her up in every way possible, and I adore her every move. I am the proud father of two wonderful daughters who have never given me any reason to be anything but proud of them. I am a Christian man. And I lastly, I am a singer-songwriter. It is my plan to leave a story of my life, my love, behind in song. I hope that my music is a part of some people’s lives. I hope my music feeds people in some way. Maybe, they will even read my books. My legacy then, is about a man who loved his God, loved his family, and loved his music. Through my daughters and my songs, I hope to live on for just a little while longer.

         What is it about you that we can remember? We all have something. We all are and were a part of this world. Think about it. Outside of your commitment to Jesus and your love for your family and friends, what else truly matters in the end?    

         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

2 comments: