Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Dear Jim: I’ll See You Soon…


            As soon as I woke up this morning, my wife told me that one of my uncles, Jim Thompson, passed away in the night. My family has always been a little bit “clannish”, so it hit me hard. He had battled Alzheimer’s for several years, and the last year or so had been about as bad as it can get for someone. His name was Jim. Jim and I had spent thousands of hours working side by side in my younger days. He taught me all kinds of things. Things I’ll never forget. But mostly, he just set a great example of being a good and happy man. He was the kind of man that never had to look over his shoulder for any reason at all. I loved him very much, and I hope he knew that. I’m wishing at this moment I just would’ve told him.

Scott Coner enjoys a special moment with his Uncle Jim (left) and father (right)

            I was in Florida the day I first heard about his illness. My wife was still getting dressed to go to dinner, and I wrote the song I am including with this blog, "Still Standing Here"”, before she was ready to go. (This probably sounds impressive, but sometimes my wife takes “days” to get ready to go to dinner.) The song tells the story of someone who carries a photo album each time they visit their loved one as “proof” that they had indeed spent a life together. They had laughed together, raised children together, and shared all of the good and bad life has to offer together.

https://soundcloud.com/scott-coner/08-still-standing-here

My song "Still Standing Here"

In memory of my Uncle Jim


            Early this morning, I went to the gym to get a workout in before the day truly began. As I left the parking lot, a song from the '80s that Jim had liked came on the radio. It was Elton John’s song, “I’m Still Standing”. I hadn’t heard the song since it had been on the charts years ago, but sure enough, there it was on my radio. I kind of felt like Jim was telling me he was okay and not to worry.

            I know many of you have lost loved ones. This is a pain none of us can avoid. I probably wrote this article more for me than anyone else, and I’m not going to get in the weeds. But, it has been a painful day. One of those days that is mixed with disbelief, grief and regret. But isn’t it odd that “I’m Still Standing” and “Still Standing Here” occur on the same day 30-something years apart? Jim brought me his hand tools as his illness began to progress. When I’m up to it, I’m going to go out to the barn and hold them in my own hands. Take care Jim. I’ll see you soon…

Love, Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment