Friday, January 22, 2016

The Perfect Song


By Scott Coner
Country Artist (and Proud Father)

            Twenty years ago this weekend, my first daughter was born. I was honestly in shock as all of the evidence of my wife’s very large stomach finally came into fruition. You see, I wasn’t really prepared for much of anything at that particular point in my life. I remember the day we were to bring her home from the hospital. I was supposed to go outside and bring the truck around to the front doors of the hospital and pick up Cynthia and the new human that I didn’t really know very well yet. I remember realizing I didn’t know how to put together a child's car seat and freaking out in front of everybody as I slammed the box on the sidewalk possibly screaming out words that didn’t match my adorable character.

            My fingers were wrapped around the steering wheel for all it was worth as we drove away from the nurses that had been helping Cyndi and me. I looked over to my right every now and again and could barely comprehend that this tiny humanoid was going to be part of my life as long as I lived. We stopped at my mom and dad’s before we went home to show my mom what I had made. We were all kind of spellbound as this tiny, skinny little baby opened her charcoal eyes. I never saw it coming, but everything in me melted like candlewax. This very small version of me and my wife took hold of me at that moment and has never let go. All I can say is that I am so glad she did. She set the stage that would allow me to feel feelings inside myself that I didn’t know existed. The love that I have felt since that day has continued to amaze me. 

 Video: Happy 20th Birthday Emi

            Three years after Emily was born, we found out that we had another little girl on the way. I remember being scared that I wouldn’t have any love left for her because Emily Sae already owned it all. But as I said, because of Emily, my heart had been conditioned to love the next baby every bit as much as the first one.

            I had started writing “The Perfect Song” as I sat on our bed watching Emily lie there as I played guitar. I must have set the song aside for quite a while, but I finished it sitting cross-legged next to my youngest daughter Taylor’s crib. I never planned on doing anything with the song, because it was so specifically about my own daughters. But, Cyndi has been making this “slide-show” for Emily’s birthday this weekend with the song as a backdrop, and I just wanted to share it with you. A lot of things are changing with my music very soon, and I don’t know how much longer I will be free to release little songs like this. The thing is, I know the song isn’t something that will speak to everyone. But it might speak to you in some way. I guess most of us have watched our kids play in the leaves or run across the yard as the sunshine danced across their hair. Those are the moments that God allowed me to have that I’ll always hold in my heart. My daughters have defined the man that I have become. So, as I’m driving to Wilmore, Ky., this weekend to see her on her birthday, I hope you can take a few minutes and allow me to share with you the story about two little girls that have truly blessed me. They are my “Perfect Song”, something far, far better than anything I could ever hope to write. Happy Birthday, Emily Sae Coner. I love you. 


No comments:

Post a Comment