Sunday, January 17, 2016

My Journey Into Music… So Far (Part One)


By Scott Coner
Country Artist

(Following is the first of a series of blog articles offering my experiences as a singer-songwriter and performing artist in country, Americana and Southern Rock.)

            The music business isn’t a refined science. There are many ways to get somewhere in this business, and to be honest, they have all eluded me. My approach has been consistency. Simply forging ahead even when there didn’t seem to be any hope has been my policy. It is funny how things begin to take shape if you can remain standing though. You begin to notice that behind each curtain there was a purpose of some type. What may have appeared to be a waste of time and money might have turned out to be a stepping-stone.

            I have spent my private life involved in some type of construction for the most part. I have worked for contractors, but mostly I have run my own show. I found out pretty early that I had a knack for estimating and managing work. I seemed to excel at putting a job together along with a scope and timeline that would not only meet the clients needs and expectations, but it would also make a reasonable profit for everyone involved. The most important part of this type of work though is to have open conversation with a team that communicates well with others, as well as with me. As in most things in this world, it is always important to surround yourself with honest and competent people.

            I have approached the music pretty much the same way I have approached construction. I knew, and I think most of us know, that the whole process starts with a song. Now, I am a singer-songwriter with a specific skill set, so I felt that putting together a great team early on was probably the most important first ingredient. This team needed to work around any of my weaknesses. Then we could analyze and finalize where we needed to go from there. I wanted a group of players, along with an engineer who understood where I was coming from musically. I didn’t want a group of session players showing up for three hours at a studio, knocking out three songs, and calling things done. I began working with an engineer that was from a different musical background than me, but who understood where I wanted to go and how I wanted the songs to sound. For instance, I wanted very big sounding drums, so I would need to record in a room with tall ceilings with an outstanding drummer. (I have always used Kenny Aarnoff as my example as far as a drummer goes.)

            I didn’t want too much of the “sugary” type background singers in my mix, so I do a lot of my own backing vocals and I also work with Marcia Ramirez as often as possible. (In my opinion, she is one of the finest vocalists I have ever known.)  Marcia understands the importance of dialect and the layering of vocals. She is willing to “over-sing” her parts throughout a song, bringing all sorts of ideas I hadn’t taken into consideration for the final mix. We do the same thing with different guitar hooks, textures, pedals, bass lines, and whatever else. Then, we put together a “rough” mix to live with for a few weeks. After listening to the “ruff”, we meet to begin the final mix.

Scott Coner with acclaimed singer Marcia Ramirez (Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)

            Early on, I had a friend back in Indiana helping lay some of my songs down using a Pro Tools application. This approach worked, but it also had its limitations simply because it had a tendency to close certain doors for future performance and production ideas. I have also used a BR-1600 to record on, but this was almost as limiting. What I do now is play the song on video using a loop for guitar if I have lead arrangements and send the file to my engineer/producer. I will usually discuss Ideas right there on the video either before or immediately after the song, and then we proceed from there.

            Okay, so that is a simplified version of how I work on my songs. You probably have a better and more advanced approach, but I have to keep things kind of simple. I’m a pretty simple guy. So, let’s assume you already have a large bag of hit songs written and recorded. What would be your next step? Well, to me, the next step was pretty obvious. I needed to launch a social media campaign. I needed to reach out into the world and let people know about what it is that I do, and why and how I do it. I didn’t understand how all of that works, and I still don’t, so I hired a publicist. A publicist is a pretty big part of the puzzle from here on out, so I suggest that you try your best to locate someone that you like and trust. After all, you are about to give that person access to your entire library of music, photos and thoughts.  You might want to look at their current and more recent clients. Check out their “brand”. Did the publicist do a solid job representing that artist or band? Do the colors, the fonts, the press, and photos work well with who and what is being represented? Could you see any type of growth or other transformation? Can you afford this service at this time? Do you have enough material put together that would allow for this to take place now? Or do you need to get back into the trenches and maybe get some video work and photos done, then see where you stand? I think the most important step is to be willing to take your time. Don’t rush things.

            I already had photos and some video work started, so I felt that the time was right for me to get started developing some media attention. I had already written one book and was in the process of completing another. I had 30 or 40 songs in the can, and I had already experienced some success overseas on their charts and had some radio play in the U.S. We got started with some pretty dismal numbers at first, but we worked together and discussed how we planned to attack each quarter of the year, and built up some pretty nice numbers. I found out that I truly enjoyed writing blog articles and Facebook and Twitter entries. I also began to develop a very personal involvement with the folks that were following my music. I could see their families, their likes and dislikes right there on my computer. It began to look like maybe we could get some wind under our wings. We needed to take another step.

            Managers seem to be effective only if you have more than you can find time to manage on your own. Through recent years, I have tried a few, and although they were nice people, I can’t tell you that they got anything of value done. Especially when you consider the cost factor. So, my next step had to be a deliberate one that was willing to take risks and put my cards on the table. I hired a music attorney. This person is knowledgeable in all facets of the industry, and they can be very effective in getting certain doors open when the time is right. An attorney will probably only take you on if he or she like and believes in the music. They need to see you have spent ample time on development of your brand. And finally, they need to feel like they can take the fruits of your labor and develop some type of deal.

            Remember, everything we are going over here has to be in your own time. You may need to take baby steps. You might even need to get a second job in order to save up the money to get this done because it is an expensive start-up. But if it is in your heart, you really don’t have much of a choice. You just have to figure out how to get things done within your own budget and timetable. I have always said there are people that play golf; others are season ticket holders for sports teams; and some drive fancy cars. I am like none of those people. I am a songwriter. These songs are important to me. Sound is important to me. It is where my passion is.

            I am aware that this is an incredibly thin overview of what I have done and how I have done it. But, if it is in your heart, you will find a way. Enjoy the journey. Enjoy the people you meet along the way, and allow yourself to grow from all of the new experiences that the world of music has to offer. I can only tell you from my own experience that it has been a fun and exciting trip so far. In this world, most everyone is a little bit different. They see things more colorfully and challenge me in ways that I had never before considered. I have stood shoulder to shoulder with some pretty amazing and talented people, and I wouldn’t change it for the world. I am certain your trip will be pretty special in its own way.

            Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

(Stay tuned for part two of "My Journey Into Music... So Far".)

No comments:

Post a Comment