Sunday, January 10, 2016

It's All About That Tone


By Scott Coner
Country Artist


When I first began playing guitar, my appreciation for music began changing around the same time. I wasn’t really exposed to FM music until I was around 15 years old, so as I have said countless times, I listened to country music that my parents listened to, and I had an AM radio in my bedroom that played whatever Top 40 pop hits were on the charts.

            It was around this time that I washed the family car and my dad’s work truck on the weekends for extra spending money. One weekend was a little different though. My older sister must have needed her Maverick washed, so I worked on it as well. I remember exactly where it was parked in the backyard as I fiddled around with an 8-track tape called “Toys In the Attic” by a band called Aerosmith. I was scrubbing the tires when “Walk This Way” came on. I had never heard anything like it before. The drums at the front of the song were cool, but when Joe Perry cut loose on the guitar hook, I saw guitar possibilities in high definition.

            These days, most of us have heard that song a million times on the radio. We know about the drugs and drama that followed that band around for several decades. And we know about, at least to some degree, how many outstanding songs they have released. But for me, as far as that band goes, everything comes back to Joe Perry. His guitar work is outstanding, and the “tone” of his guitar is dark and deep.

            There have been several of these bands around that just had a “sound” or a “tone” that is so recognizable that the listener only needs a second to establish just who is on the radio. My mind goes to the bands Boston, AC/DC, ZZ Top, Dire Straits, or Pink Floyd. These bands came to us with strong music, but they had a sound that was theirs and only theirs. 

Scott Coner performs (Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)

            In today’s music, I sometimes think this variable may be missing. I don’t think this lack of a trademark sound is missing only in the current rock genre. I believe it is missing in a big way in country music as well. Maybe the business of music has changed in a way that is based on money. There are union players in Nashville that are so good, so amazing, that they could easily play and record up to an album a day every day of the week. This is without a doubt remarkable, and I don’t mean to take anything away from such a talent. It saves time and money to be this precise at anything. But, if this is happening at a large scale around Nashville, don’t you think in the end, most of the music begins to get “sterilized” in some way? Have you not noticed that nearly all of the tones, the vocal mixes, the drums, as well as the guitars, tend to sound alike in certain ways these days?

There is an outstanding documentary on Netflix right now called “The Wrecking Crew”. The show documents the process of an outstanding group of West Coast session players and how they shaped a large portion of 1960s and 1970s pop music. I will freely admit that some of those, if not most of those tracks, were perfect. But I am not sure that this is happening today, and I am also certain that part of the contributing factor is technology itself. Pro-Tools, computers and keyboards can replace pieces and parts on a track that end up sounding cold and slick and maybe a little bit too “un-human”.

            I started thinking about all of this the other day while listening to some older Dwight Yoakam. His sound has always pretty much been his. And yes, I am also aware that his sound was loosely based on Buck Owens. But if you listen to “Long White Cadillac”, you can hear what Dwight was about. He had a sound that was his. His production was outstanding, and that guitar “tone” was alive and well living in the forefront of the songs.

            It has been a natural movement for me to pull away from the type of recording that occurs in some of the studios. I found myself pretty unhappy too many days in a row after working on a song, then losing its heart and soul during the recording process. I am in no way being critical of anything or anyone. It was and is just my approach, and I didn’t want to lose sight of what I was trying to accomplish. To me, it would be like getting your picture taken and somebody making you wear an ugly sweater for the picture even though you didn’t bring it to the photo shoot. It’s not my sweater, and it wasn’t the sound I had in mind. Sometimes it might be best to stand your ground and give BillCosby back his shirt.

            I’m from Indiana, and when I was a teenager, John Mellencamp was a big deal in our neck of the woods. I remember him talking about why certain people found him a little bit hard to deal with, and this very issue was one of the primary problems. He wanted big-sounding drums, so he hired Kenny Aronoff. He had Larry Crane and Mike Wanchic on guitar, and he had a sound that was all his own. I admire that. I think we need more of that attitude. Mr. Mellencamp might have needed to work on his people skills a little, but he brought serious game.

            So, if you’re reading this and you happen to be an artist, I guess I want to challenge you to be who you are. If you wrote the song, don’t allow the song to be lost of its energy. But be careful. Many of the players in Nashville also have the ability to take a mediocre song and make it a hit. It’s a fine line. Personally, I have found a good way to hold on to your ideas is to pre-record the song before you record in a major studio. If you have guitar hooks, background harmonies, beats, or whatever, bring that information to a preliminary meeting. See what your team thinks, listen to their ideas, and allow the music to flow. Remember, it’s your song.       

            Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer

No comments:

Post a Comment