Sunday, January 24, 2016

My Journey Into Music... So Far (Part Two)


By Scott Coner
Country Singer-Songwriter

(Following is the second part of a series of blog articles offering my experiences as a singer-songwriter.)

         It is unfortunate that everything has a price tag on it these days. But all of the steps required in music or just about anything else have a cost attached to them. The good news is that you can go at your own pace. This also will allow you time to be certain of every decision and every step you take along the way.

         These days there are several hot spots around the country that are more open and willing to help you during the development of your career. Los Angeles may be one of those areas you want to consider. Out there, you have all types of music genres as well as opportunities to work in soundtracks and commercials. New York has always been another area, as well as Seattle, and of course Nashville. I chose to work in Nashville for several reasons. The obvious reason was it was very close to where I live. The other was its openness and long history in country and Americana music. But, I have also had a real interest in possible opportunities in L.A.

         I always encourage young people to pursue an education with at least a minor in business. One thing is certain and that is you will need to have the capacity to look at things with some understanding from a business standpoint. I also think it is a good idea to seek advice from someone you love and trust, because it is always helpful to have someone else’s perspective.


         Below, I am going to list a few things you might want to consider as you begin. Please remember that I don’t know you or where you live, so certain items or needs and services might cost more or less money. Also, note that this list may not meet your requirements in any way at all and all of this doesn’t need to happen at once. It will probably be part of the your process.

         * A checking account with your music company name: This account is where you should track all expenses from including travel, recording, payments for services, etc., but you might see fit to use your existing account you have had all along.

         * Federal ID number: You need a tax number for tax purposes. All expenses should be kept track of. This is only good practice and it also helps you keep a finger on the pulse at all times of your investments. (But note that you may not need to do this just yet.)

         * Recording: I am not a huge fan of too many “at home” recordings, although there have been some great ones put together in a few basements. Just remember that your songs will be listened to by people who listen to some of the finest music on the planet every day, so you want to present yourself the best way possible. If you plan on going to a studio, you can negotiate a package for a group of songs, or you can record one or two at a time. Often times, you can get your song across nicely with an acoustic arrangement.

         * Web Site: This is important for all kinds of reasons. Be certain you have a design that is easy and practical for others to check out your music, your bio, and your photos and videos, along with any other pertinent information you feel needs to be shared.

         * E-Mail Address: Obviously, you need this. I find myself checking my mail every time I look at a phone.

         * ASCAP, BMI or SESAC: You will want one of these companies to have all of your music registered. There are a few more companies like these you might want to check out. (I am with BMI, and I can’t say they have been much help so far.)

         * Facebook, Sound Cloud, Reverb Nation, etc.: These sites allow access to all types of people all over the world. Pretty amazing when you think about it.

         * Photo Work: You will need lots of photos made. We live in a digital world, so at least you don’t have to buy film. Always seek photos that seem to represent you in some way. Each of us has a certain identity, and that should always be conveyed the best way possible. I’m sure you will have a lot more to work with than
I do that’s for sure.

         * Video Work: I have grown to appreciate videos. If done well, they can give the listener even more to consider from the song.

         * Education: Try to study your field of interest as much as possible. Consider all of the different types of production, the artists and bands. You will find there are some pretty amazing artists out there. I have long considered myself a student of classic rock and classic country. To me, these genres both represent a part of my roots. In a way, I suppose it’s like a guitarist studying the Delta blues to better understand the craft. I find myself reading about all types of music and artists simply because they hold a special interest to me. I don’t even have to enjoy the music that much. I just have an interest in their approach to their craft.

         Anyway, this is a start at least. There is so much I would like to go over with you, but in truth, as you begin each path, you may find that you have different needs and interests. Just remember that in order for you to do this, other things may need to be put on the back burner, but life happens in the midst of it all.  It is impossible to have a specific plan going into this business. Instead, you can only prepare for everything the best you can and try to be open for changes as they arise. I hope this helps you in some small way.
 
         I look at music the same way I look at staying in shape. I can do well in the gym. I like to work out and feel the burn and the sweat. But it is the time away from the gym that offers the real challenge. If I work out hard but eat like a pig, I probably won’t accomplish what I want. It’s the same thing in music. The short time spent in the studio will be wasted unless you truly seek out and study the very best way to reach your goals. Always be aware of your time and money, be kind to people along the way, and listen to what everyone has to say. One day the fog will lift and you will see the road you need to take. That will be a special day for you. I promise that if you give your all, you will never regret the time, money and energy you invest.

         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

(Stay tuned for future installments of "My Journey Into Music... So Far".)

No comments:

Post a Comment