Monday, June 13, 2016

Talking about the Passion

By Scott Coner

Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer and Author





     People that write songs on a regular basis are a different breed of individuals. They blend in pretty well with the rest of the world because they spend quite a bit of time observing others and taking note of other peoples’ opinions and feelings on different subjects. I think the real difference that sets song people apart from others is their ability to get inside a feeling or emotion. I have been in the midst of a day thousands of times when I hear a song that just touches me in a special way with its energy or depth.
      Recently, you may have noticed me complaining about not “fitting in” where I live. I don’t mean to sound unhappy or uncaring about the people that surround me. It’s just most of my thoughts are entirely about my family or music, or something within that realm. I don’t go to car races or ball games. Instead, I find myself wishing I could sit down with other songwriters and listen to their newest material or discuss the matter itself. When I’m in Nashville, I feel like a fish back in the water. So much of what I am is a central part of the city itself. I love to look at the equipment in some of the stores that carry the finer Gibson and Martin guitars. I like to meet with friends that write and record. I like to be surrounded by what I have a passion for. In truth, this is no different than someone that loves to shop going at various malls, or a comic fan going to comic-con. We all have our passions I suppose.


(Scott Coner at his family farm with Annabelle, Rocky, and Casey)
     Lately, after being involved in the industry for years, certain doors have opened for me that allow the opportunity to do what I love for a living. Isn’t it odd when what you pray and hope for comes to pass? A man can’t help but be at least a little bit surprised. Yesterday, I got up early and got my workout in the gym out of the way and spent the rest of the day and evening in the confines of my studio. I don’t have windows or clocks in there on purpose. I have a bad habit of wanting to be outside if the sun is shining so it’s best to treat me like a mushroom and leave me in the dark. I am currently preparing two 45 minute sets that I will begin playing this fall as opportunities allow. Doing an acoustic set seemed challenging enough, but I wanted to put together songs that allow the listener to “feel certain feelings” and be “challenged”. The concept and title of the tour itself will be called, “Building Your Legacy.” The purpose is to engage the room itself into considering what we all bring to the table while we are here, and what we ultimately leave behind. This all goes back to being in my mid-thirties and feeling like my life didn’t have much of a direction or reason. Even though I was happy to have a young family and all that comes with it, there was another part of me that was miserable. I physically needed to be involved in music. It is what I am and without it, I don’t feel like a whole person.
     As I prepare, I will continue writing songs and recording. I will be working with a songwriter this coming July that has had eight number one hits and many top forty songs. Our videos are doing well. People seem to enjoy the music. And I actually enjoy the messages that people are kind enough to send. It brings everything full circle for me. I have made it a point to enjoy the ride as I go in whatever direction God allows. I do my very best, but I try not to worry too much because He has always been fully in control even when I acted like an ungrateful idiot.

​(Bill Cody of WSM Radio, T. Graham Brown and Scott Coner)

     These days what I enjoy most is the purpose that everything seems to have. Looking back, I can see that all of my writing wasn’t in vein. It was comparable to working out in a gym or running in the evening. It was just part of the practice required in order to work in a world where some of the best players on the planet congregate. This being said I am painfully aware of my own shortcomings and I in no way compare myself to these very talented people. But God has placed me here for a reason, and I will step up every chance I get. None of us know what lies around the corner in this life. But, I feel blessed beyond words to be doing what I do. And being able to occasionally be around “song people” is like a healing salve that soothes my sore muscles. My hope is that someday someone will remember my songs. I hope that they will listen to my words. And more than anything, I hope some will find inspiration in the fact that a guy from Nowhere, Indiana wouldn’t give up, so why should they? Corn grows big around here, but I promise dreams grow bigger. After all, it wasn’t so long ago that “Jack and Diane” were sittin’ outside the “Tastee Freeze” suckin’ on a chilly dog.   

Keep in touch!






Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at his music page. 


No comments:

Post a Comment