Monday, June 6, 2016

Shot Clocks and Destiny

By Scott Coner

Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer and Author

   
      Have you ever found yourself hoping for something so long that you don’t know how to react when the chance finally comes? Consider that particular relationship you have spent countless nights wishing and praying for. What about the time they gave you the basketball with three seconds on the shot clock and the game depended on you? I’m sure you have your own story. And if you don’t, you’d probably better get busy living because these are the moments that define you.
     Years ago, twenty- two years ago to be exact, the snow was falling on a gray Saturday afternoon. My wife hadn’t consented to marry me just yet, and I had to do some pretty quick talking before my opportunity passed. You might say the three- second clock had been turned on and somebody accidentally gave me the ball. I pulled in to an empty Napa car parts store parking lot in Brown County, Indiana and poured my soul empty. I had to cover quite a bit of ground pretty fast because she would be headed back to Nashville, Tennessee the next morning. The thing was, I knew we could have a good life together, but she probably wasn’t all that convinced. And it is probably important to point out that most of the breathing male species would be willing to do about anything to have a chance at her. I remember explaining in detail every aspect of my feelings. I also remember seeing the clouds of doubt in her eyes. But, this was my chance. It was my opportunity to shoot the ball in the midst of some pretty heavy defense. Long story short, somehow, the ball went through the hoop and as I write this blog, our daughters are in the kitchen laughing with their mother as she cuts up a watermelon. Times are very good these days.

​(Scott Coner and his wife Cyndi)
     More recently, I have been given the chance to finally begin playing music for a career rather than just a hobby. This is the answer to all of my dreams. But, for me to actually go on the road, I need to buckle down and put a show together. You see, for so long now, I have simply been a writer. I come up with songs, and I record them. I have become entrenched in the process of constantly moving ahead as a writer, but the truth is, I don’t remember how to play the songs I wrote well because I have always been in the process of writing instead of practicing. To top that off, I need to learn quite a bit of other material to go along with my own plethora of life stories. Honestly, rather than writing this blog, I should be out in my studio working on songs, but here I sit pecking away.

    
     I am certain your version of unforeseen opportunity is just as terrifying as mine. Sometimes I think we are all just a bunch of clueless humans wishing and praying but somehow not expecting anything to come from it. You know, if we believe in God, and we believe in His promises, why do we not expect at least some version of answered prayer? I consider myself blessed beyond belief to have what I have. I am happy and complete in every possible way. This whole music thing is too good to get my head around sometimes, but I will truly try my best. I don’t want to let this get by me; that’s for sure. 
     I hope all of your own wishes and prayers have come your way. If they haven’t, I hope you know that they are in the pipeline coming right at you. We are so fortunate to live here in this country. One of the truly outstanding qualities of our part of the world is that we have room for hope. We can dream. We can accomplish. And when we pray, we can expect results. Don’t ever allow yourself to lose sight of who you truly are and what you offer. Your life is important. Your thoughts are important. And your time here on this earth deserves to be well spent. Don’t ever step back and allow your dreams to diminish. The shot clock will be ticking soon, and you will find yourself holding the ball.

                         Lean back like Larry Bird and take that shot! 


   

Keep in touch!



Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at his music page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment