Sunday, June 26, 2016

All Lives Matter

By Scott Coner

Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer and Author








     Do you ever think about what “could” have been when you look back on your life? Do you privately find yourself drifting off into the mist as you think about someone or something in your past for some reason? Maybe a song comes on your car radio as you drive to work that touches a part of your heart that you had assumed had healed or at least settled down thousands of days ago. “Just for a moment, I was back in school. I felt that old familiar pain. I turned to make my way back home, and the snow turned into rain.” Do you remember that old Dan Fogelberg song from the early eighties? I know I’ve mentioned it before, but that lyric still speaks volumes to me.

     From the minute we arrive in this world, there is a giant hourglass somewhere in the great beyond. Each grain of sand represents a heartbeat in our lives, and we would be well served to acknowledge this fact. Every hope and dream we put on the shelf have a string attached to it that connects to our soul. Can you stop doing what you're doing long enough to remember your original plans? I know, the world keeps spinning pretty fast these days and sometimes it’s hard to get a memory in edgewise.
     
     The truth is, we all have so much to give. It’s the way the creator made us. If He made us in his image, how can we go wrong? Deep inside of you there is a place where your dreams and passions stay. They don’t just leave, and they are a part of you. In the last few months, I have made several attempts at this same theme several different ways, but the reason I keep coming at it is it’s important. It’s important to me, and it’s important “for” you. You never know who is watching, who is listening. There are those in your circle of friends and family that need your inspiration. If you can find a way to grab hold of your destiny, then there is a pretty good chance you will give them the strength to move forward.

      I believe what I’m describing is the process required to begin building a legacy. I’m not talking about what gentle words will be used at your funeral or obituary. I’m talking about turning your life on full volume and engaging in what it is that you love. Defensively, your first thought will be to say, “My legacy is my children. My family has been everything to me, and I’ve given them my whole heart.” I don’t doubt that one bit, but I’m not really talking about your kids, although they are incredibly important with far-reaching effects on the world themselves. I’m talking about you. I believe we all have so much to give. Your personal approach to something can have earthshaking effects on someone, and that someone may be a person that you love very much.

     As a kid, I watched my very young parents start with absolutely nothing. They worked together and agreed upon certain things they would just have to live without in order to accomplish their shared dream. My dad’s brother was involved as well as his wife, and I am certain their household did without a few things in the early years. As my family put their dreams to the task, a company was born that collectively allowed thousands of families to have great paying jobs, nice homes, college opportunities, and dreams of their own. This company grew in leaps and bounds and became much, much bigger than my parent’s original dream. These days, the water has settled, and my dad is retired. He spends his days with my mom, and they can sit back and know that their legacy became a reality that touched thousands of lives in a very positive way.

     I suppose because of being given a first-row seat in witnessing a dream come full circle, and I am a believer in hard work, commitment, and passion. I watched what happens when you don’t give up even when the storms come. I don’t think for a minute that something laid upon your heart is impossible. And I know without a shadow of a doubt that you are more than capable of making that dream become a reality.

     I am not in any way saying for you to ditch all that you have at this moment and go chasing rainbows. What I am trying to recommend is that you put together a plan with God and your loved one’s and pursue what you truly are instead of what you may have allowed yourself to become. Don’t worry so much about your pre-existing busy schedule. There are always answers. Just make a plan, be willing to adjust as needed, and go for it. It doesn’t matter what it is. You may have originally wanted to be a clothing designer or a teacher, or nurse. You may have wanted to be a contractor or fence builder. It truly doesn’t matter. If it is on your heart and in your soul, then it is important. I’m telling you that every day matters. I’m sure you can agree with me when I say that life is short and very fragile. You are going to make a difference not only in your life but in other lives as well. I don’t believe we were put here on this earth to simply punch a timecard or get a weekly check for some mundane job. We were put here to Glorify God and live every day like it was our very last. I’m sure you have heard the slogan, “Make America Great Again”? Well, this is where we start. This is how we can change our world. This is how we begin to build a legacy that will be lasting. 

Grab a hold of it and don’t ever let go.
    



Keep in touch!



Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at his music page. 






No comments:

Post a Comment