Monday, February 8, 2016

'Roll With The Changes...'


By Country Artist Scott Coner


“As soon as you are able, women I am willing
To make the break that we are on the brink of
My cup is on the table, my love is spilling
Waiting here for you to take and drink of...

So if you’re tired of the same old story
Oh, turn some pages
I will be here when you are ready
To roll with the changes…."



            It’s cold today here in Indiana. The water for my horses is frozen, I can’t get the barn any warmer than it is, and my hands hurt from being out in the weather. I picked my parents up at the airport early this morning when they came in from their home in Florida, and I could see the shock on their faces as the cold wind whipped around them. These are the days that I long to be anywhere else but where I’m from. I grew up outside of the town that I currently live outside of, and I have to tell you that I need to leave as soon as possible.

            When I grew up here, it was a much smaller, much more personal community than it is now. My friends were here, my family pretty much all lived on the same road, and I was comfortable. I figured things would always stay the same. Man, was that ever an oversight. I still have a handful of friends around here, but we don’t really have anything in common. We rarely even see each other, and there isn’t much to say.  One of my childhood friends sells cars, and the other sells insurance. They are great guys, and I care deeply about them, but it sure sounds like a John Prine song doesn’t it? We just drifted apart. Our values are different, the way we raise kids is different, and what we enjoy is different. Long story short is, I’m ready to get on out of here for good.

            The music is finally starting to get its own legs, my daughters are both pretty much raised, and my worst nightmare is that I don’t finally seek some change in my life. I stayed around to be with my parents if you want to know the truth, but they have moved on as well. They stay in Ft. Myers in the winter and travel most of the summer, and I am very happy for them. It’s me and my immediate family who need to move away. I just don’t have much to keep me here year-round anymore. I expect I’ll keep my house and farm. After all, it’s where my kids grew up. But I need to begin the process of looking around seriously for a different place to land when I'm in Nashville. I spend way too much time in hotels when I’m there, and I never feel fully relaxed. Life changes us in ways we never expected, doesn’t it?

Scott Coner ( Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)

            When you are young, you think you have all of the time in the world. That big clock in the sky doesn’t even show itself until you begin to hear this very loud ticking, and you start to get things in perspective pretty quickly. There is so much I want to do. So many things I want to see with my wife and kids. I stand back these days and look at my music, listen to my songs, and I can’t always remember writing them all. There was a time I didn’t believe anything good was ever going to happen for me, and yet, finally things seem to have turned around. It leaves me with a warm, satisfied feeling in my heart. But I still feel detached where I’m at today, and I know it is close to time for me to move along. I don’t know why, but I expect that will be a sad, tearful day. I might just be relieved to be honest.

            I hope as you have read this you haven’t found yourself starting to think I am not appreciative for what I have. That’s not the case at all. Instead, I am truly grateful for all that has happened for me, and I always will be. What I hope you take away from this is something far more personal and real than my own complaints and ramblings. I hope you take a look at your life and your position, and do a self -check. Are you happy? Are you complete? Is there something missing that could actually be corrected? Don’t wait too long. Don’t put things off. Begin the process of change. Remember, it is a process and it doesn’t usually take place in one day.

            The things I need to do are scary for me. I get uncomfortable whenever things start to change. I’m a creature of habit. But change is usually good because it challenges us to be aware of things and allow for a new approach. I worry about being on the road with my music. I worry about being away from my family. I even worry about my farm and animals. But I have worked hard, and so has my wife. It is time to put all of our cards on the table and play the hand we have. And yes, it scares me quite a bit. I hope you will do the same thing. Place your bets people and believe in yourselves… and always "Keep Pushin’". (By the way, I sure miss Gary Richrath)

“Well, it’s coming together and I finally feel like a man
I never thought I’d be where I am
Every day I work a little bit harder
I keep pushing on.…"


         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment