Friday, February 12, 2016

For Valentine's Weekend: 'I Worship Her... I Need to be Close to Her'


By Scott Coner
Country Artist


         It’s been over 20 years ago now, but I remember everything. The first time I saw her my whole world changed. I knew that somehow, I needed to impress this woman enough to marry me. I walked around in a cloud for weeks not knowing what to do. I was in a bad marriage, and I was having more trouble than you could imagine getting out of it. Cyndi was also in the final stages of a break-up. The timing couldn’t have been worse. But, this woman, this relationship, was worth fighting for. I needed her. I had never felt feelings like those, and I didn’t know how to act.

         We both grew up within just a few miles of each other, but the odd thing is I actually met her in Nashville. She had been working for a Christian record label called Brentwood Music. I had wanted to pitch some of my music to them, but since I was in the middle of a divorce, nobody wanted to talk to me too seriously. I wasn’t very bothered by this though, because I could have cared less for their label. I just wanted their blonde.

Cyndi Coner
         As a little boy, I used to go with my mom after school to make bi-weekly payments at a furniture store in our town called Barnes’ Furniture. It was owned by a very kind Christian man who really impacted me just to be around him. It turns out that this man was actually Cyndi’s uncle. I look at our old photos of our families, and it looks like we grew up with the same furniture. Another interesting fact about Mr. Barnes was that he had three daughters. They were all older than me, but they were crazy beautiful. These girls were Cyndi’s cousins. Turns out that this family has a very dominant gene of beauty. Not unlike my family’s genetic hair displacement or big ears.

         Early on, I was supposed to meet Cyndi in Nashville for dinner. I sat at the table for nearly an hour, and she didn’t show. I finally got up and went to the salad bar and found myself standing next to Carl Perkins. I was too troubled to even care, so I didn’t thank him for his contributions to music or offering me a chilled plate for my salad. I stormed out of the restaurant only to find Cyndi sitting all alone in a chair waiting for me to get there. I felt like such an idiot, but to tell you the truth, I bet she hadn’t been there long. Through the years, I have noticed that I sit around waiting on her quite a bit, but I don’t mind.

         Anyway, long story short, we found a way through the mess and ended up getting married. There isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t thank God for her being in my life. She has proved to be a perfect mother. She treats my parents like her own. And she actually loves me unconditionally, and I have no earthly idea why. I don’t deserve a woman like her. I lie in our bed at night and hold her. I feel her soft skin and soft hair while she’s there next to me, and I find myself smiling in the darkness.

          Through the years, I have made mistakes and let her down. It hurts me to think about it, because I care for her so much. But, I keep trying to show her in all kinds of ways how much she means to me. I have mentioned before that I worry about having to die some day because I just don’t want to be away from her, and I truly mean it. I don’t want to have to leave. Every day, every minute, matters more than I could say.

         Valentine’s Day is the mandatory, designated day to promise our undying love to someone. I have written many songs about my wife, but “Close to You” is one of my favorites. There simply is no way I can put into words how much Cyndi means to me. I believe she saved me from a miserable life and a terrible ending. All I wanted to say to her is, “Thank you for saving me from me." Without her, things would have gone much different. I would have been bitter, mad and lost. Instead, I’m happy, glad and found.


         I hope you like the song and video. But, more than that, I hope each of you has a special Valentine’s Day. If by chance this year finds you alone, don’t worry. I’ve had plenty of those, too. Your best bet is to wait until Sunday, go to the drugstore, and buy yourself some special chocolate on sale and wait around until the right person comes along. There’s somebody out there for all of us. I’m living proof of that.

         The first song I wrote about Cyndi was this one I am including. I haven’t recorded it, but I remember the lyrics. Maybe one day I can take it to the studio. I’m not sure how many songs people want to hear about my personal experiences.

“Seven Kinds of Ways”

Hey girl we’re about to be free
And I was wondering if you’d marry me
And give me a little girl
We’ll name her Emily Sae
And we’ll hold hands and ride swings in the park
And I’ll hold you when the world goes dark
And girl, I won’t ever leave

(Chorus)
But when you smile are you really laughing at me?
For being such a love-sick fool?
In just three days
I fell for you seven kinds of ways
And girl, my heart belongs to you

How’d you get those pretty brown eyes?
And girl can you sympathize?
You see, I’ve never felt this before
Everything’s not as it seems
And my feelings are here on my sleeve
All I can do is think about you
Girl, I’ll do anything you want me to do

(Lyric Copyright 2016 Scott Coner)

Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment