Sunday, December 20, 2015

Where Do We Go From Here?


By Scott Coner
Country Artist

         Well, This year is nearly past, and I can't help but think about the following year that's just around the corner. Musically, as far as my career goes, we have covered a lot of ground. I have been inspired and truly touched by so many kind people out there that have talked to me through this "world wide web" contraption. It just feels personal and not so far removed when I can actually see the people that listen to our music and read the blogs and other posts. I never knew how my career would go. I simply jumped on its back and grabbed a hold of its mane as we took off together galloping wildly.

         I am different from so many other writers and singers out there because I put music on the back of the stove until I knew my kids, my wife, and I were ready for the changes that are required in order to attempt something like this. Of course, I have heard all of the advice everyone wants to give freely whether I ask for it or not. They like to remind me about the "odds" of making a dent in this business. I don't listen to them. I do not hear them. And I do not care what they have to say to me. I already know about the odds. I already knew the deck was stacked before I started. But it never was about the chances. It was about what I needed to do. I needed to do this one thing for me as well as for others.

         I have taken into consideration how blessed I am to have a beautiful, healthy, well-rounded family. My parents are both alive and happy and healthy. I can't help but feel like I am asking too much of the Universe to allow me to have a music career. But, I still ask. I still pray. And sometimes I think I might even beg a little bit. I am not complaining, but I didn't ask to be a songwriter, although I am happy beyond measure to be one. It's true. I look in the mirror sometimes and see a man who needs to be adjusted a little bit because he can't see the trees for the forest. He needs help in the fact that he has been blessed beyond his wildest dreams, yet he continues to come back to the trough complaining that his cup isn't as full as it could be. Sometimes I feel a little guilty about that.

Scott Coner (Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)

          As we plan for the first quarter of next year, my publicist, my wife and I know we are about to swing the bat and aim for the lights in the parking lot. I find myself freaking out a little bit every day wondering if I have a better song in me than what I have already provided. I want everything to be perfect as label representatives consider my songs, my stories, and my life. I wish I could tell them all that my music is different because my values are a little bit different than theirs. But that sounds pretty drastic and full of itself even as I write it here. I want to promote stories from my past. I want to allow people to see into my life and understand that my life is probably very much like their own. I usually don't write about bar scenes or pickup lines. I write about love and loss, marriage, and life and death. I try to share my world with the listener in hopes that he or she can identify with that and maybe make it their own song. It matters to me that we can all be members of this small community of listeners, real-life people with real-life relationships and problems with answers. This is where I want to go from here.

         As we take this music on the road next year, I want to meet as many of these people as possible. I want us to have dinner together. I want to drink coffee and hear their stories. I want to be part of something that lifts "them" up, not me. I want the music to be more theirs than mine. I want us to have a revival of sorts. I want us to celebrate through music as well as laughter. I want the songs themselves to allow for real-life application. I hope that we can all grow a little bit together and build an internal relationship that matters. We have all seen the "dead-heads" and the "parrot heads". We can begin something together that promotes family and purpose, music and art itself, and the realization that our music represents our lives.

         At this current moment, I am open-minded about what the future holds. I am willing to follow the rabbit into the hole. But, what I believe in is people. I believe we still have common ground in the fact that we haven't fallen too far away from where I have always stood. I believe we still like loud guitars and big drums. I believe we still stand for what is right, and we will stand for family and life values. This is where we will go from here. We will go together. Maybe we can call ourselves "Life-ers"....

         For more information about Scott Coner or to hear his music, visit www.ScottConer.com, www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, or www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

1 comment:

  1. A man that knows what he wants. I hope you get it and a lot more. I hope your career goes as far as you want it. Elizabeth Joslin

    ReplyDelete