Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Me, Too!


By Scott Coner
Country Artist


            What's your earliest memory? How far back can you go? Mine is a hodgepodge of memory and weird dreamy thoughts. I think I may remember actually being in my crib. It was light blue, on the right side of my room, and there was one of those mobiles at the foot of the crib. I remember having some white plastic pretzel-type teething toy. It's strange to be able to go that far back. The styles and the sounds of the sixties were gaudy, yet cool. It's too bad that during the moment we don't realize what a special moment in time we are in. I was just a little kid though, and my whole world revolved around waiting for the next cookie or bowl of Quisp cereal. (Remember that little pink space guy? Me too!)

            I watched some of the very first "Sesame Street" programs along with "Captain Kangaroo". I remember all of the pretty girls in school. I remember wishing I was cool like the school jocks. I remember wishing school would finally be over forever so I could be an adult. But I don't remember ever considering how hard it would be to actually be a grown-up.

(Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)

            The whole world was my oyster. I actually believed that I could do anything I wanted, and it troubled me that I couldn't do it all. I, honest to God, remember considering the pros and cons of being the president of the free world. Arrogant? Not really, just a little bit under informed about how the world really works. But the truth is, it is actually possible for us to reach our dreams or at least some version of the dream one way or another. Do you remember pledging allegiance to the American flag and praying in your classroom before you had your milk break? Me, too!

            Sometimes, the memories are warm and sweet. Sometimes, memories are just cold and dark. I don’t want to let any of my past go because each moment is a small piece of who I am. But, I know there are far too many people that would give anything to let some memories go. Just remember that wherever you came from, your life matters. Maybe you have some part of you that should be shared with someone else. Sift through some of those memories and share them with your kids and others that you care about. Maybe, when you weren’t looking, those memories morphed into wisdom. By the way, do remember that really cool red Torino on "Starsky and Hutch"? Me, too! 

Scott Coner (Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)

         For more information about Scott Coner or to hear his music, visit www.ScottConer.com, www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, or www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment