Sunday, September 20, 2015

Scott Coner: Probably Not Too Sexy for My Shirt


By Scott Coner
Country Artist (and fitness advocate)

         I have not always taken good care of myself. When I was a kid, I think I must have stayed up nights trying to think up new ways to kill myself. But that was a long time ago. These days I find myself considering every meal, my protein, my carbs. I think that little by little, I have turned the whole workout thing into some kind of weird game with myself.

         I started lifting weights off and on about 10 years ago, and these days, I'm pretty committed to it. If I'm home, I walk my dog Maggie every single evening. And I'm a member of two different fitness clubs.

         It has occurred to me that this whole working out thing allows me to listen to music, work on songs, pray, and plan. Yup, it's all about me, and this isn't so bad. We all need to have time alone thinking about how we carry on with our lives, don't we? After all, we are only here for a little while, so it is a positive thing to take care of what God gave us. I was talking with my publicist the other day, and he mentioned I should write about this topic. So, if you think it sucks, it's not my fault.

Scott Coner takes a break after walking his dog Maggie (Photo by Cyndi Coner)

         Here is the sad truth: I am 51 years old, and I am probably in the best over-all physical shape I have ever been. I am not really proud of this because it means I have spent the last four decades-plus living stupidly and keeping the "Little Debbie" people afloat. I just happened to realize that I craved sugar, slowed down at every Dairy Queen, and wanted chocolate so bad that the woman at the local drug store began to give me funny looks. So some things had to change.

         I started lifting weights out back in my barn. At the time, I wasn't too comfortable with going to a gym because I had never really done it before as an adult. I began to realize that I needed more support through a better diet, and a better understanding of where I wanted to end up. I read about men my age (what's needed to be in tip-top shape), and slowly I began to understand what it was I wanted to do. I started eating the calories for my target size. I began adding lots of protein to my diet, mixed in some kick-boxing and other cardio, and walked as often as possible. Because I'm such a spaz, I have never been overweight, but I certainly have been out of shape. Now, I'm not telling this story because I have mastered anything. I just wanted to share something pretty personal with you because I thought it might encourage someone in some way.

         Here is the deal: If you spend at least 30 minutes a day doing something healthy, your life gets better. Don't drink too many pops, don't eat out too often -- get that heart rate up -- and things just change. This is not some prison sentence that means you have to get rid of all the comfort food. Instead, this approach allows you to truly enjoy those special moments... when it's just you in your truck driving some back road singing at the top of your lungs (with ice cream all over your head). Now, of course I never do this... I just thought you might.

         These days, I have joined two fitness facilities, and I truly enjoy going. I hoped I could make new friends, but I cry a lot during the cardio, and I think it may scare people off. I eat pretty sensibly, and I don't ever give up. It really is pretty simple if you do it enough that it becomes a habit. I am including a small list of things that work pretty well for me in case anybody is interested.

          1. I buy Brooks shoes. They resemble clown shoes, but they truly support my knees and feet.

          2. Premier Protein shakes are outstanding and can be bought at Sam's Club.

          3. Drink water! Keep it around at all times. I try to get around a gallon down a day. I have met every tree between here and Nashville up close and personal.

          4. Pick up an occasional fitness magazine. Honestly, I haven't found much usable information out there, but it does help keep your mind focused.

          5. Eat some type of protein within 30 minutes of your workout.

          6. Plan your meals when you can.

          7. If you miss the boat one day and accidentally eat three pizzas, no problem. Just get back on track the next day, and don't beat yourself up.

          8. Back off of the carbs. We all need a reasonable amount, but I really like doughnuts (and this is a problem for me).

          9. Keep healthy snacks around at all times. I hate Greek yogurt, but my wife got me these new Greek yogurt "whips", and it has slowed my gag reflex down quite a bit.

          10. Sleep is very important. Your body and your mind need proper rest.

         As a kid, I had two posters in my room. One poster was O.J Simpson, and the other was Bruce Jenner. Looking back now, I realize I just had poor role models.

         I hope this helps somebody. (Next week I plan on discussing my adoration for puppies, so please stay tuned.) 

          To learn more about Scott Coner or to hear his music, visit http://www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, http://www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, or http://www.ScottConer.com.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment