Monday, September 14, 2015

All I Ever Wanted And Then Some!


By Scott Coner
Country/Americana Singer-Songwriter


         I don't really remember not being drawn to music. Honestly, it's all that I have ever wanted. Through the years, I have had many unforeseen blessings come my way, including my wife, my kids, my appreciation for life... But all the time, music has been alive in my heart. The draw of writing a song (the need to play the guitar alone somewhere) has always been part of my makeup.

         I am a middle-age man these days, and I can tell you that nothing has changed in my heart. I find myself turning off the stereo in my truck as I drive down some highway and think about a song or some other part of this business. For those of you that have heard my story in the song "Nashville Song", I don't guess that this news comes as a surprise. But, I am the man that must live with the choices I have made. Through the years, I have walked away from all kinds of business opportunities that would have caged me in somehow, and I have been fortunate in the fact that I came out unscathed. But I will go to my grave knowing the truth to be something I find difficult to live with. 


         Music has been the mistress in my life that I have loved with my entire being, but she has been a self-centered wretch to be honest. She has kept me awake countless nights as I have worried about the business dealings she has brought my way. She has left me frozen in time as I have been given one bad deal after another. She has also given me some of the sweetest moments I have ever known. She has blessed me with so many friends, so many chords, so many words, so many dreams...

         The simple truth is that given another life (another clean slate), I would probably do it all over again. I don't want to be the guy that stands in his barn and drinks beer until its time to stumble up to the house to an annoyed woman. I don't want to be the guy that buys the big sports package for his television and waits for the next car race or football game. That type of life would be like a bullet to my soul. I cannot imagine the musical backdrop of my day being staged by some lame classic rock station as it plays another cut from its 30-album library. No, that existence just couldn't work for me.


         Music offers more dimensions than what the world offers. Music is my therapist. Music has given me courage when I had none. She has given me lyrics to share my feelings and commitment when I simply wanted to run away. Music gave me my wife, my kids, and my whole little world. It's true that through the years I have had a few bloody cuts from Nashville, as well as other parts of the world. But with age comes clarity, and I have realized that all of it has had purpose, and the purpose was to give me strength and appreciation. I will forever be grateful for what I have been given by music, and if anyone ever found me even a little bitter, then they didn't know me at all.

(Scott Coner is available for concert bookings. To learn more about him and hear his music, visit http://www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, http://www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, or http://www.ScottConer.com.)

No comments:

Post a Comment