Monday, September 7, 2015

Labels and Bad Coffee: Slow Down A Little Bit


         It’s odd how we all want to put a label on every type of music there is. We stick our little labels on this and that, but it doesn’t always describe the artist or the band.

         Somebody wrote back to me earlier this week in reference to my Molly Hatchet blog and said today's country is just yesterday’s Southern rock. I appreciate the input, and it kind of got me to thinking. Of course there may be some Duane Allman or  Toy Caldwell peppered into this or that, but today's music is simply music that represents who and where we find ourselves today. The sad truth is, I think we might need a sticker that says, “disposable” or “forgettable”. It’s probably not that the music isn’t good or even great in some instances, but our world has become like that bitter instant coffee you may find in your break area at your place of work. We just move so fast that we forget how to slow down and listen.


         I don’t mean to preach, but yesterday I bought the new Warren Haynes album, “Ashes and Dust”. I had dinner, then went to my studio alone to listen to his newest masterpiece. It was a pretty cool experience as the needle glided through the vinyl taking me to places I hadn’t been yet. Each note was new and fresh, and I just sat there alone very happy and content. It was soothing to just listen for a change with no cell phone, no computer, and no one around. If I had to label Warren Haynes, I would simply give him a “smiley face” sticker because his music just makes me pretty happy.

         I have always hoped more than I can say that people might simply give me 40 minutes of their time and just listen to whatever project I have just recorded and released. I can think of no higher calling than to have my music, my songs, be the backdrop of someone’s dinner, their drive time, or even their thoughtful times. I wonder what type of label sticker I would get. Would they call me country? Southern rock? '70s pop country? I have no idea. I may not even deserve a label.

         But let me tell you something that matters: Slow down a little bit and don’t forget why we’re here in the first place. We don’t have to sip out of styrofoam cups and drink bad coffee. Find something new and interesting that you can be passionate about, and get off of this giant wheel we have become too accustomed to riding. 

         Learn more about country artist Scott Coner and hear his songs at www.ScottConer.com. Follow him at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic and www.Twitter.com/ScottConer. Subscribe to his video channel at www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment