Sunday, February 19, 2017

The Long and Winding Road of Radio Personality Marty Smith


                                                                               By Scott Coner
                                          Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer, and Author


     About thirty years ago, my life was on a very different path than it is now. I was living in downtown Minneapolis going to a Christian college. I had been considering becoming a full-time pastor, but my road changed itself right in the middle of my journey. At the time, I was married to someone different. I was working through all types of issues. And to say that I could have been doing things better would have been an understatement. While living in the middle of a world I didn’t fit in; I had been writing and recording in a studio downtown on Hennepin Street. I honestly don’t remember the specifics, but I ended up sending a demo to a man in Nashville. Somewhere in that time period, we recorded an album on a small gospel label, and a single came off the record. I had written the entire album, but this song was about my own salvation. It was titled, “Jesus All the Way.” The little song was put on a “CD sampler” that carried one song of each artist on the label at the time. “Jesus All the Way” began opening doors for me all over the country, but I believe Marty Smith may have been the driving force behind everything at the time. As a matter of fact, if it hadn’t been for this man, I wouldn’t be able to do what I do now.


     I’ll never forget the first time I spoke to Marty. I came back to the apartment every afternoon in between classes. I’d have some oatmeal and watch “Batman” on television. (I realize this is a bit lame, but it is what was happening) My phone rang, and it was Marty Smith. He told me right away that we were live on his radio program and my song was getting heavy rotation in Missouri. I don’t remember much of the conversation, but I will always hold that phone call in my mind. It gave me a chance. It endorsed my hopes and dreams. Because of Marty, things began to change for me. I will never be able to thank him nearly enough for playing my music. He is just one of those friends that I don’t talk too often, but I know he is there if I need to talk. Marty could have gone many directions in radio. But, he stayed in Christian Country. This is where his heart was. I think he did the right thing. Marty is making a difference these days. His show is growing. People recognize his voice. And I know without a doubt that there have been untold numbers of people that found hope simply because of my friend Marty Smith. Marty built his legacy on the Word of God. He has been true to his calling. He has worked many bitter and hard hours doing what was necessary to allow him to continue his mission.


    Marty is the kind of man I hope to be. He has stayed the course even when all of the odds were stacked up against him. I spoke with him several years ago on the phone. I was sitting on my porch after dark when I received the call. He told me everything that was going on, and like a fool, I recommended that he move away from the Christian market. I am so glad he had the good sense not to listen to me. The internal politics of the  Christian Country market had caused a great deal of pain for him, but he stayed the course. He had a vision, and he knew who had given him the plan. I wish we were all a bit more like him.

     Below, I am including some questions that Marty was kind enough to answer. At the end of the interview, we have provided some information on Marty’s radio programs. I hope you will look him up. I hope you will reach out to him and tell him, “Scott sent me”...



My interview with Marty Smith:  (Possibly the very best radio personality today.)


1. Obviously, God blessed you with the perfect radio voice, but what initially led you towards a career in radio?

  You know, Scott, it's funny. I never thought I really had this great radio voice, but people kept telling me that I had this incredible voice.  Because of people's comments about my voice, I thought a career in radio might be fun.  I tried for years to get into radio, but no one would take me.  One day, I walked into this radio station and asked if they were hiring.  They asked if I had any radio experience.  When I told them no they slammed the door in my face.  I went ahead and went into the station and filled out an application.  I remember going home and praying, "Lord, I quit!  If this is what you want, then you're gonna’ have to make it happen".  Five days later that station called me and told me they were looking for an on-air announcer.  I went back for an interview, and they told me since I had no experience they were hesitant to hire me.  I offered to work free for a month to see if would work out.  I needed the experience, and they needed help.  The station owner gave me a chance.  That was 26 years ago.  I've been in radio every since.

2. Do you see any positive trends in the Christian Country market? For instance, are artists selling product on line and in Christian stores? Are businesses getting behind this market? etc…

Yes, I do.  In this digital age, it's easier to sell your product.  Back in the day, the artist had to send out cassettes and CDs.  Today, they can send out electronic press kits, and it's cheaper to do so.  With iTunes, CD Baby, Amazon and artist websites, it's easier to sell.  I don't see much product in physical stores these days for this genre of music, but online sales seem to be easier for the artist to sell their music compared to the old days.  Hopefully, as on-line sales continue to grow more, businesses will get behind this genre of music and grow it even more.

3. You and I have known each other for 25 years or so by now. We have both been pummeled once or twice. What has kept you on your path? Have the hard times promoted personal growth in your life?

We sure have Scott.  We've called each other through some tough times to help each other out.  I can't thank you enough for that. I think we can all look back and see a time or two where we've been pummeled by who we thought were our friends.  Life can sure throw you a curve sometimes.  I remember at one point I had lost everything.  I didn't know if I would ever bounce back.  The only thing that has kept me on my path is my faith in God.  I know He has called me into radio and that's why I do what I do.  There were times that I just wanted to quit, but I'm thankful for a Godly wife who has supported me over the years and has never let me quit.  During the toughest times in my radio career, she's been my main support.  I'm so thankful for her! To be honest, those toughest times in my life are when I have grown the most spiritually.  God has been with me every step of the way even when I didn't think He was there.  I've learned that even though radio is my calling in life, my relationship with Christ is the most important thing in my life. Without Him, I'm nothing.

4. Where do you see Christian Country headed these days? Do you feel like the new administration and the fact that conservative thinking is finally trending again that people may turn towards Christian music/thinking/ etc.?

I do see room for growth in Christian Country music.  The new administration has definitely made its impact on the world today.  Where that will lead, we'll soon find out.  We've seen some tough times over the years.  I think the conservative trend will help this genre of music out a lot.  People are looking for hope.  They're looking for something that they can listen to that gives them hope.  This music does just that.

5. How many markets are you currently working in? Are you seeing consistent growth?

My morning show simulcasts on twelve different radio stations.  I also own several other internet radio stations which simulcasts Heaven's Country.  And I'm the host of the internationally syndicated radio show, "Today's Cross Country," which airs on over 50 different radio stations each week.  The show plays in Ireland, Canada, England and all over the United States.  It's been a lot of hard work, but I'm please with how it's turned out for me.

6. You have been awarded several awards recently. Can you elaborate?

I've been in Christian Country radio from the beginning.  I've been blessed with over thirty radio awards, including the Inspirational Country Music Radio Personality of the Year award and the International Country Gospel Music Association's Bob Wilson Radio Radio Personality of the Year award.  My station, Heaven's Country has won the Radio Station of the Year award several times as well.  It's very humbling when your peers feel you're worthy of such prestigious awards.

7. Tell us about your family:

My wife and I live in Durango, CO.  We have two dogs, Bear and Max and a cat, Moon.  Our daughters are grown and living on their own.  They live in Colorado Springs, Knoxville, TN and Pheonix, AZ.

8. You are the reason I began to have at least some success in Christian Country. Do you remember calling me at college and telling me, “Jesus All the Way” was doing well in Missouri? That was a very important moment for me.

Thank you, Scott.  I remember making that call.  I was working at KEXS AM 1090 in Kansas City, MO.  The song is so pure and true.  It did make number one on my Top 20 chart back then.  I love hearing you sing.  You have such a gift!  Not only was I blessed when I first heard that song, but it was the beginning of a great friendship that you and I have had over the years. 

9. Give us a brief overview of you:

I started my radio career in 1990 at a small AM station in Kansas City, MO.  The owner later told me that the reason he hired me is that I had drive.  He saw a fire in my eyes that he hadn't seen in awhile.  In 1993, I moved to Denver, CO and began working at KLZ AM 560.  I worked there for several years and then went on to work at KWBI 91.1 FM in 1995.  I was soon hired to work in Colorado Springs, CO at KBIQ 102.7 FM.  I worked for a man named Ken Sasso.  He was a radio genius.  He taught me so much.  In 1995, I syndicated my radio show, "Cross Country" (Now known as Today's Cross Country).    In 2011 I started Heaven's Country (www.heavenscountry.com), an internet radio station that broadcasts worldwide.  I spend most of my time working on the radio station, and I write several articles for various magazines in this industry on a quarterly basis.  I also spend a lot of time mentoring several different radio disc jockeys who are in this industry.  10. What advice do you generally have to share with people that tell you they want to get into radio?

The first thing I tell anyone who wants to be in radio is to make sure you know this is your calling.  If you are in this for yourself, you won't get very far.  Be sure to put your audience before you. This is not about you.  Also, when you're on the air, have fun!  If you're not having fun, your audience won't have fun.  They can tell when they listen.  One more thing, give it the best you've got.  Strive for excellence.  People know quality when they hear it.  If you're not giving your best, your audience can tell.  When I first started my radio career, I had no idea where it would take me.  People today call me an overnight success.  As my friend, Terri Gibb would say, "It's been a long night"!  I have had more fun with this than I could have ever dreamed I would.  And somehow, it's only the beginning.  Here's to another 26 years!
Thank you,

Marty Smith
Morning Host
Heaven's Country!
Take It From The Top!


Host of Today's Cross Country
The Truth Is In The Music!

Keep in touch!




1 comment:

  1. The new Mohegan Sun, now Open | 7.5pm | KTNV
    Mohegan Sun in Uncasville, Conn. 구리 출장샵 is the latest Foxwoods Resort to 남원 출장안마 bring 영주 출장마사지 back its two decades of gaming, dining, 세종특별자치 출장마사지 entertainment, shopping and more. 구미 출장안마

    ReplyDelete