Sunday, February 5, 2017

An In-Depth Look at a Nashville Publicist

By Scott Coner
Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer, and Author

     I met Chuck Whiting a few years back. I needed a publicist to help me develop my media presence. As he began working with me, he also began to point me in the direction of a much broader understanding of my craft. To be honest, he is the very reason for these weekly blogs I write. He helped me get involved in some of the “writers rounds” that he hosts in Nashville. And in the end, he has become one of those treasured friends we all hope to meet at some point in our lives. His honesty and integrity have been invaluable to me. From my own perspective, if you happen to be a songwriter or a novelist, you should know Chuck.
     Originally, I was going to write a self -penned blog about Chuck. But as I began putting the thing together in my mind, I decided that he would be the better man to explain himself. I have provided the questions. Chuck has provided the answers. Once again, if you happen to be an artist that needs someone honest and talented, this is your guy. However, if you prefer to take a chance on a squirrel in a fine suit and a fancy car, I believe I have that guy’s number as well, unfortunately.    




   
                     Chuck Whiting                      Chuck (right) with hit songwriters Pete and Pat Luboff





1. What brought you to Nashville?

I visited Nashville as an 11-year-old with a keen interest in music and newspapers. We were on vacation, and my sister, Sharri, worked for The Tennessean as a lifestyles reporter. Later, as my journalism/PR and songwriting careers developed, I began to dream of moving to Music City. My dream came true when Opryland hired me as a PR Representative for the Opryland Hotel.

2. Expound on your past experience.

I've been reading newspapers since childhood, even starting my own neighborhood newspaper and writing letters to the editor for my hometown newspaper, The Mobile Press Register. Other times, I was banging out original songs and instrumentals on the family's upright piano (competing with my brother, who was five years older).

Slowly, I began to migrate toward Nashville. I spent five years earning bachelor's and master's degrees in Communication at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, then another year earning a bachelor's in music at UAB in Birmingham. In between, I had the opportunity to write for The Birmingham News and The Mobile Press Register, and run a songwriters night called the Upper Room. When I was offered a job at Opryland, I was ecstatic. I spent seven years there, working with Grand Ole Opry stars, tourists, conventioneers, and broadcasters from around the world. I founded Music City Arts Network (formerly Whiting Publicity and Promotions) on Music Row in 1993. Over the years, I've had the opportunity to work with a wide range of musicians, songwriters, authors, playwrights, actors, speakers, and visual artists. I've also been able to publish "The Littlest Star" book and CD, create an online newspaper called Music City Arts Update, and run a monthly songwriters night called "Tunesmithing." During my career, I've done just about everything you can do in PR and music.

3. What does a publicist do or offer for an artist?

The definition of a publicist has changed substantially during the past 10 to 15 years because of the Digital Revolution. Our role is to garner local, regional, national and international exposure for artists. In the early days of my business, that included developing a game plan, writing and distributing press releases, creating press kits, and setting up radio and television appearances. Today, a publicist does those things and much more. Our 24/7 work routine has grown to include the writing, development, and posting of press releases, blog articles, e-newsletters, videos, still photos, and "tweets" on a host of online media platforms. The digital age has allowed us to become publishers. Now we can share creative information with mass audiences around the world instantaneously. But to be successful and well managed, we have to be multi-taskers who can write copy for a host of online media platforms (in all lengths), edit what we write, speak at events, create podcasts, produce and write scripts for videos, "Tweet", develop/manage websites, publish books, publish music, produce audio recordings, develop events, and handle digital ad campaigns. A PR professional has to keep up with and master the latest tools and platforms in the fast-changing digital world. 

4. You not only work with musicians and songwriters. You also work with authors as well as businesses is this correct?

I'm an "arts" publicist, which makes me a little different than the publicists on Music Row. Like them, I handle publicity for recording artists, songwriters, and musicians. But I also help build exposure for other kinds of artists, including authors, playwrights, actors, and visual artists. I've also had the opportunity to work with entrepreneurs in entertainment, tourism, real estate, and media. I have a passionate interest in all aspects of the arts, and I love helping people succeed from every creative walk of life. My own personal involvement in all of those things helps me understand the challenges that other professionals face. Launching a career or new business isn't easy. It takes creativity, determination, know-how, and a positive attitude. It's also important to point out that there are a lot of artists out there who are similar to me. Look at some of the wonderful artists I've had the privilege to work with. Laura Powers is a successful songwriter, recording artist, visual artist, and jewelry designer. Rand Bishop is an award-winning songwriter and author. Valerie Connelly is a recording artist, songwriter, author, and visual artist who recently staged a Broadway-style musical. Scott Coner is a brilliant singer, songwriter, writer, and author. For many of us, our creativity and career goals aren't limited to one talent area, although that's just fine. We have a number of talents that need to be shared to help change lives. There's also community cross-pollination -- a really wonderful thing. Artists are able to collaborate with each other to help change the world.



 
Chuck with visual artists (L-R) Gail McDaniel, Alan LeQuire, and artist manager Ken McDaniel

                                                Chuck with The Saucy Sisters



5. Where do you see the market headed in the near future?

This is hard to answer because a new invention could come out of nowhere at any moment. As I mentioned before, the way we communicate has dramatically changed because of the Digital Revolution. Those changes go far beyond the process of communication itself. Many music listeners, especially in the Y and Z generations, download music tracks from the Internet. Although the CD is still holding its own (for now), reduced sales have had a marked impact on the recording industry. Add file sharing or piracy to the equation, and you begin to understand why we now have only three major record labels. Online retailers have been reluctant to pay sufficient royalties for music downloads, which has led to numerous lawsuits. Still, there are many positive signs that the recording industry will survive. It's important to study sales and marketing trends to determine what people want. As a songwriter/composer, I've come to realize that following the traditional route to land hit songs isn't always practical. It's easy to waste a lot of time and money. In some cases, larger companies are hiring songwriters on a work-for-hire basis (a development that's left some highly successful songwriters in tears). One has to think outside the box these days. Build exposure for your career, songs or art by using all of the major digital platforms available. This will increase your chances to be seen or heard. Keep in mind that social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Linked In and Instagram attract different audiences, but the major media have embraced all four. Don't put all of your eggs into one basket. I'd encourage songwriters and artists to include film, television, and advertising in their career strategies. Also, think of ways to collaborate with other artists of all kinds for products and events such as exhibitions and fundraisers.

6. What would you like most to share with others that are entering into the business of music as well as other forms of expression/art?

Thousands of artists have come to Nashville, but only a select few are able to make a living on their talents. Only 1 percent of songwriters have ever made a penny on their songs. I know this sounds a bit depressing, but it's reality. Not all of us are meant to be stars, but all of us can change lives with our talents. Some of us are meant to be big fishes in small ponds, while others take on much bigger national or international roles. Still others of us have the opportunity to help artists succeed.

First, you need to discover what your talents are. I've met a lot of artists who thought they had a great singing voice, but their real talent was the writing, or perhaps a music-related trade such as managing, producing, engineering or training. Don't just depend on members of your family who tell you again and again that you have the goods to be a big star. They love you, so they are going to say those things. It might be true, but consult with the pros to be sure.

Second, you need to get your chops up. That might mean moving to Nashville, or it might not. In Nashville, we have access to a vibrant arts community, performance opportunities, recording studios, organizations, and major media, but you need to be ready before you move here. Visit first to learn the lay of the land. Then let your initial feedback resonate. Study the craft of whatever it is you want to pursue. Join organizations, attend festivals, and take online courses and/or a few classes in a school or college. Observe the pros, and take advantage of performance opportunities. It's good to have another career option to fall back on or to help fund your efforts.

Third, develop a thick skin and say thanks (even when you're hurting). If you truly believe in your talents (and truly have them), then nothing is going to stop you from succeeding at some level. Weigh a healthy ego with confidence and a good attitude. Be willing to listen and learn. Don't let initial failures get you down, although that's human. Build a group of fellow artists around you for friendship and support. Always thank the person who offered advice, even when you disagree with his or her evaluation, direction and tone.

Fourth, don't allow your emotions to lead you into bad decisions. I learned a hard lesson when I signed a book distribution deal without reading the fine print (or letting an attorney do that for me). I ended up paying through the nose, with most of my profits going to the other company. I know an artist who signed away the publishing to his entire catalog of songs without a reversion clause. There are a lot of horror stories, and you don't want to be in one. There are great, professional, honest people in the music industry. But there are also unscrupulous imposters who will smile broadly while taking your last dime.

Fifth, have a great time. If your main goal is to make money, then you may not want to do this. The odds are already stacked against you. We write and play music (or create art) because we have to. It's part of who we are... our heart and soul is expressing art. We are drawn to others like ourselves. Build community, laugh loudly, help others, write passionately, and play often. Only a few people get this opportunity.

7. Any truly bright points in your career thus far that you would like to share?

This answer is probably more general, but one of the greatest rewards for me is seeing artists' dreams come true. I've also established strong friendships with many of the clients I've worked for. I sum all this up to say that I love what I do and appreciate fellow artists putting their trust in me over the years. As a publicist, author, songwriter, and educator, I'm always learning something new, while playing creative roles that have an impact on the lives of others. It's always an adventure... sometimes good and sometimes disappointing (when we don't get the results we expected). But that's life. I have less hair these days, but I also have a few laugh lines.

8.  How can an artist contact you?

Artists are always welcome to touch base. Please visit my arts blog (Music City Arts Update) to see what my clients are doing and what's happening arts-wise in Nashville. They also can follow/like Music City Arts Network at Twitter (@MusicCityArts) and Facebook (MusicCityArts).




No comments:

Post a Comment