Saturday, August 13, 2016

 By Scott Coner

Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer, and Author 







   

     It was probably around 7 p.m. when we stepped on his boat. I had never been on a sailboat before so I tried to stay out of the way. I figured he would be busy pulling ropes on pulleys and trying to work with the wind. I was wrong about that. He knew perfectly well how to adjust for the conditions and allow for an incredibly smooth and peaceful ride. We probably sailed towards the sun for an hour or so before he and I began to talk. He put on an abstract collection of all types of music that was somehow connected to water and it was a nice change not to hear “Margaritaville” over and over. His name was Steve, and he was originally from that part of the world. He looked to be in his late thirties or possibly in his early forties. He was in good shape, had a nice tan, and took very good care of his boat. He told me that he had been in sales with his families company for years, but the company got sold, and he just didn’t have any passion for things in that field at all anymore. He knew he had to make some significant changes in order to be happy, so he took a giant step in faith. He said he had always been drawn to the water, and he decided to buy a sailboat. His plan was solid, although there were a few seasonal issues that slowed his business down in the late fall. In order to stay on track, he put his boat in storage every winter and went to Florida until spring. He had found work on someone else’s boat during that time, and it provided a nice change of pace for him.







     Don’t you want more? Do you ever have those, “what if” moments? Do you ever think about all of the desires that are deep within you but you just don’t know how to act on them? I think in order to be happy in this world we need to be who we really are. I believe that in order to maintain a long and quality relationship that you should never stop developing and changing toward what serves you better. By constantly challenging ourselves, we also inspire our children to never give up on their own dreams. I have allowed my wife and daughters to see me get knocked flat in the music business. They have seen my struggle and I have been open about my mistakes and disappointments. I wanted them to see me this way. I have always hoped that somehow they could learn some lesson in seeing their dad refuse to give up when times were hard and hurtful. Maybe, I have allowed them to see a fool. I hope not. But if I have, there was probably still a life lesson included in there somewhere.  





     As I write this article, Steve is surely on his sailboat floating quietly across the water. He is probably looking west, watching his sails, and giving someone the time of their life. I hope that he knows he is an inspiration to many of us. He cracked the mold. He found a way to become who he truly is, and who he is truly matters. He is making a contribution and building a legacy that will be talked about for many years to come.  As we sailed back to our dock that evening, “Brandy” by the band, “Looking Glass” was on his stereo.  Perfect.

Keep in touch!




Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at his music page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment