Sunday, May 8, 2016

Why Worry, Why Wait?


By Scott Coner
Country Artist


Why worry? There should be laughter after pain...
There should be sunshine after rain...
These things have always been the same...
So why worry now?
                                                        -- Dire Straits


            How many times have you silently promised yourself that you would get around to it “one of these days”? Do you have some crystal ball promising you a tomorrow, or are you simply putting off the hard stuff? I spent the first half of my life spending it like pocket change. I had some good times now and then, but I lacked a responsible focus. Instead, I would find a quiet place and dream and promise myself that one day I would finally pursue my own goals and stop wasting my time doing what everyone else expected me to do. Well, by the time I hit my late thirties, I was starting to lose my mind. I felt like the sand in the glass was running out, I was trapped, and it was over for me. The day I finally hit the wall full speed, there were parts of me scattered all around. I was either going to have to make some immediate and very specific changes, or throw myself in a pond holding a rock. There was just not going to be a middle of the road for me.

Scott Coner (Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions)

            There was a lesson there for me, and looking back now, I believe it was worth learning and waiting for, but I definitely waited longer than necessary. I got my own lens into focus. I began to categorize exactly what it was going to take to get a shot at music and take my whole family along for the ride. I want and need for my wife to be with me. She brings with her a massive amount of insight and talent in business and photography. She also calms my spirit. I want both of our daughters to get an insight at the vast amount of possibilities in the business itself, the travel, the people, and the beauty of it all. I wanted both of my parents to be there as well. I want us all to be a part of the journey. I want us to grow together and share memories for the rest of our lives. At the same time of course, I want each of my loved ones to follow their own dreams and develop into who and what they are inclined to be. My wife and I will support our daughters to chase whatever dream God has placed upon their heart. We have actually encouraged them to leave our little town and take the entire world in. There will be no sitting on the ledge waiting to live for anyone in my family as long as I have anything to say about it.


A song about believing... "If The Stars Burn Out"


            The reason I share this part of me with you the reader is this: I want you to follow your heart. I know that you and I aren’t acquainted, but I believe that you may be reading this for a reason. There is something special about you, something that sets you apart from the rest of us. I have met so many truly kind and interesting people through the years, it would be hard to narrow it down to any specific circumstance. But the one commonality these people all shared was that they were all at peace with themselves. They knew who they were, what they wanted, and where they stood.  

            I hope that you will take this day and begin to seek the change required to get on your path. We have all heard about the path with the least resistance. I know for sure that the things we want most in life require a certain amount of fire to harden our steel. The moments when we feel worn out and weak are the very times we are growing stronger and more antiquated with our own desire and direction. Don’t wait so long. Don’t put it off. None of us know what tomorrow brings, and we have to be who we are in the moment. You have a dream. You have a talent. What are you really waiting for? There is no worry in this. Put your faith in yourself and God.  Allow those that love you the opportunity to be with you and share the joys as well as sorrows. Allow them to see you meet your challenges. Let them see you fail along the way because there will most certainly be missteps. But most of all, let them be with you and celebrate with you those moments when the worry stops, the rain subsides, and the sun begins to shine. If you will take these steps, I promise you a feeling of calm you have never felt before. Put your worries aside, and allow yourself to live a more fulfilling existence while you are here on this earth. Don’t you worry! Just go jump in the puddles that the storms leave behind, and smile until your face begins to hurt. 

         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment