Saturday, May 7, 2016

My Mom, The Queen of Cool


 
By Scott Coner
Country Artist

            It’s been a long time since I was a kid. Years and years have come and gone, but so many fond memories as seen through the eyes of a little boy remain. I remember my mom watching a small black and white television as she ironed our clothes in the kitchen. I seem to remember Marlow Thomas’ “That Girl”, as well as a show out of Cincinnati called “The Bob Braun Show” and another program with a host they called “Paul Baby.” My mom would iron our clothes and sometimes talk on the telephone. But amazingly, she never took her eyes off of me. I remember her giving me “Quisp” and “Cap'n Crunch” cereals, and she also gave me SpaghettiOs sometimes for lunch. (On a side note, she recently presented me with my original SpaghettiOs spoon.)

            It was a different world in middle America when I was a little kid. The cars were still awesome, the music was still exciting, and to me at least, the world was wild and wonderful. My mom was in her mid-20s back then, and she seemed to enjoy being with me as I explored my world. I remember she bought an orange-handled butterfly net, and we would chase crawdads in the creek downtown in the park and put them in a Mason jar so I could examine them for a few minutes. She wouldn’t let me take them home for obvious reasons, but believe me when I tell you it was some pretty exciting stuff.

Scott Coner's mother holds her two granddaughters.

            I recall her trying to teach me how to tie my shoes. That must have been frustrating because I was kind of a stupid kid. She would get down on her knees and grab one of my Hush Puppies and “chase the bunny around the tree” a hundred times over. I remember wondering who and why anyone would chase a bunny around a tree. But, like I have told you, I have never been a very bright light, even though I was probably a beautiful and angelic child.  

            My mom is probably the one who turned me on to music. We had a 1963 Impala with an AM radio, and I believe that may have been a pipeline to '60s rock. I remember being so excited when The Archies were on the radio singing “Sugar, Sugar”. I also remember thinking how much I hated “My Beautiful Balloon”. Man, that song sucked and still does. She would tool around in our shiny, burgundy “Chevy”, and I stood in the back seat with my Hush Puppies on rocking out way too hard to some song about “God not making little green apples, and it don’t rain in Indianapolis in the summertime.” I still don’t know where they were going with that song, but the lyrics where cool. 

The pop hit "Sweet Mary" (one of Scott's favorite songs in 1970).

            Anyway, she would put me in my bed at night, and I freaked out every time she tried to turn my light off. You see, I have quite an imagination, and I am a pretty big chicken. This can all be validated by anyone who has had the pleasure of knowing me. Usually after 20 minutes or so I would yell in my sweetest little boy voice that I was thirsty, and every single time she would bring me my glass of water. This probably went on until I was about 19 or so, but who’s counting?
  
            I could go on and on about my mom, but I’ll spare her all of my bragging. I will tell you that if there is anything even remotely artistic or good about me, it came from her. She brought style into our little town and gave it to me. She was miles and miles ahead of all of the other kids' moms as they wore their polyester. Her natural style and coolness left all of the other women in the brush. I remember how proud I was when she occasionally showed up at my school for some event. She just brought an energy to a room that others couldn’t dream of doing.

            These days, I find myself going back in time and appreciating each and every moment. We all come from something, and I came from good parents. If I have ever hurt anyone, and I know I have, it was my fault. I can assure you I was taught better than that. If I have ever misrepresented myself, once again, that would be my fault as well. However, if my music has ever given you a reason to smile or look into your own heart... well, that would be my mom’s fault. Like I've already said, she brought all of the style and all of the cool. I was merely a recipient of good parenting and excellent musical surroundings.       

         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment