Sunday, March 6, 2016

From Cattle Trucks and Tractors to a Brand New Idea


By Scott Coner
Country Artist

         A long time ago in a little town that has been gone for years, I was a stupid teenage boy in my very first rock band. At that moment in history, Bob Seeger, REO Speedwagon, and Skynyrd ruled the day. This was a pretty good thing because most of those songs were reasonable to play for those of us, like myself that were less gifted. We usually met at my house and would practice for hours out in the barn. Back then, we had to stand around one of our cars to hear one of the songs we were attempting to play. And let me tell you, an eight-track player really sucked if you needed to hear a little something more than once.

         We didn’t have much back in those days. I remember wondering what it was like to actually have a real PA system and not be forced to sing into a radio shack microphone and a ratty old bass speaker. In truth though, I think this is when I may have learned how to project my voice. It was kind of out of necessity because none of us had the sense to turn anything down, just up. We all wanted to be heard, but I think the only thing listening was the endless cornfields and maybe a few June bugs.

         I remember thinking about the potential throngs of girls that were going to identify with our awful sound. It was going to be epic. I would probably act like James Dean given the chance. I figured I would always be gloomy and distraught about society for some reason. As it turned out, I think I had more Don Knotts and Jerry Lewis in me than anybody cool like Mr. Dean. Whatever girls actually gave me the time of day probably just felt sorry for me because I had no game. 

Photo by Cynnamae Media Productions
         Those days and nights were full of music though, and all I really wanted to do was drive the country roads and dream about the future. I didn’t have much money then, so I got crazy good siphoning gas out of the cattle truck and case tractor. I remember watching my poor dad looking under the truck for dead grass trying to determine just where the gas leak was on the truck. I still feel guilty to this day about that, but at this point, maybe we should just keep that story to ourselves. He still has a little bit of fire in him.

          I don’t know what year it was, but I remember some kids over in Ohio got trampled to death because of festival seating at a “Who” concert. I also remember my mom daring me to ever go to another concert. I really don’t know how she didn’t make some connection with all of my concert t-shirts. Maybe she thought I got them at Val’s Department Store. I just don’t know.

         So, about this same time, I’m driving on syphoned gas to a Rossington Collins Band concert on a weeknight that I have sworn I would never attend. I’m a small, skinny little kid back then, so I easily worked my way all the way to the front of the stage. I couldn’t believe my eyes as Allen Collins, Garry Rossington, and Dale Krantz walked within feet of me. Gary stood there with his Les Paul on his shoulder and a cigarette hanging loosely out of his mouth, and he made James Dean look like Pee Wee Herman. “I have got to start smoking,” I told myself. But, then again, “Maybe I should wait until I can at least afford to buy my own gas, or I’ll blow myself up and then my dad will be mad.” Yes, I was a boy genius. 

 (The song "Full Throttle" will be featured on Scott's next album)


         Later that same winter, I saw Charlie Daniels at Market Square Arena. As he sang, “Million Mile Reflections,” I had tears in my eyes. When he and his band tore through “Legend of Wooley Swamp”, I lost my mind. It was then, that very winter, my young mind made itself up about my future.

         I have always thought I would have enjoyed a life in the marines, but I wasn’t sure I would get to see many women, and that was a deal-breaker for me. Now, I am aware I was wrong about this tidbit as well. Marines always have cool looking women. I also thought maybe I could do well in a few other fields, but it was music that owned me. It still does. I love everything about music. It takes me away from problems. It takes me back to a moment in time that I still miss. And it guides me in ways that are pretty hard to explain. Yes, I am fully aware that most of you felt this same way at sixteen, but you moved on with your lives. I can’t explain it, but I love it just as much today as I did way back then.

         I still need to work on that whole James Dean thing though. Problem is, I’m pretty happy most of the time, I don’t have cool hair, and I’d probably just crack myself up trying to be all serious.

         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

Photo of Scott Coner by Cynnamae Media Productions

3 comments:

  1. "Those days and nights were full of music though, and all I really wanted to do was drive the country roads and dream about the future."

    I can relate juuuuust a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post! Jason Aldean Tickets

    ReplyDelete