Sunday, March 20, 2016

Boog A Dah... Boog A Dah (Look at that... Look at that)


By Scott Coner
Country Artist

         So, the other day Ray Stevens was on the radio singing one of his crazy classics called “The Streak”. Do you remember that song? It was funny probably because for some reason back in the '70s, people used to get naked and run around ball fields and such. I have no reason why they did this, they just did. I remember as a little boy wondering why “streakers” were always male. It seemed to me they could have made it a little more interesting for young, inquisitive minds like myself.

         So, my wife, Cyndi, is deep into this soulful classic singing along like she may have been one of the co-writers. But when Mr. Stephens sings “Here he comes... look at that... Look at that...", I noticed she had completely different lyrical parts. They “sounded” like “Look at that... Look at that”, but she sang “Boog A Dah... Boog A Dah”. I thought that it was the funniest thing I had ever heard. I laughed for days. She tried to tell me that she was 5 years old when the song came out, and she didn’t understand everything. That only made it funnier to me.

          Some of the lyrics from "The Streak" written and performed by Ray Stevens...

Oh, yes, they call him the Streak...
Look at that, look at that (My wife sings "Boog A Dah... Boog A Dah")...
He likes to show off his physique...
Look at that, look at that ("Boog A Dah... Boog A Dah")...
If there's an audience to be found...
He'll be streakin' around...
Invitin' public critique...

Cyndi Coner

         It’s kind of like those songs from the BeeGees on "Saturday Night Fever". Did anybody ever know what those guys were saying? I didn’t that’s for sure. Sometimes we can go for years and not know the real, solid truth about something. It reminds me of some old Chinese musical. I think it was called “Madame Butterfly”, but I’m not sure. I swear to God I never saw it. But the scope of the entire musical was this guy was married to this “woman” for a long time and never even knew he was married to a dude. I’m not sure how this happened, but I’m sure duct tape was involved. 

Scott Coner (Photo by Cynnamae Media Producations)

         I know, I know this is a stupid commentary. But the truth is, I had a slight misunderstanding about some of the lyrics in "The Streak" myself. Do you remember the part in the song where the man and his wife, Ethyl, are at the grocery store? Well, Ethyl takes her clothes off and decides to streak through the vegetable section. The man tells his wife to "Get your clothes back on you shameless hussey!" Well, I grew up with some older cousins, and they were all boys. I can tell you I thought he called her something else. But, it was one of my older cousin's that told me what that word was, and I was young and dumb enough to believe him... "Boog A Dah... Boog A Dah" for sure.

Ethel! Where you goin'?
Ethel, you shameless hussy!
Say it isn't so,
Ethel! Ethelllllll!!!


         Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer, and www.ScottConer.com. Follow Scott at www.Twitter.com/ScottConer.

Check out Scott's latest video, "Maybe She Lied".
 


No comments:

Post a Comment