Sunday, October 4, 2015

'Sweet Mary'... a Wrinkle in Time


By Scott Coner
Singer/Songwriter/Author


         The years have virtually flown by haven't they? I look in the mirror these days, and I barely recognize the man that stares back. There was a time though, and that time has long since passed, that I remember with great fondness. As a kid, I was blessed with the great fortune of growing up around a very tight-knit family. My dad and his brothers, as well as one sister, had all moved from Kentucky to Indiana in order to get better-paying jobs. This being said, I found myself in Kentucky quite a bit, and it was here, deep in the heart of southeastern Kentucky, that I discovered the 45rpm record, "Sweet Mary".

The single I played on my Aunt Janice's farm in Kentucky.

         My dad's youngest sister Janice was just out of high school during this time, and when she got married, she left behind a pretty nice record collection and a small, simple, stereo. I remember the sun shining through the old farmhouse window as I shuffled through the records. I don't remember all of the songs, but I do remember looking at a Beatles record that had a green apple on it with the other side showing the apple sliced. Creedence Clearwater Revival was in the stack, Andy Kim was in the stack, as well as The Lemon Pipers and lots more. What I remember most was a record called "Sweet Mary", recorded by a band that called themselves "Wadsworth Mansion". I don't have a definitive answer for why the song attached itself to me, but I suspect it was the repetitive construction of the song itself. It was simply loaded with simple and happy hooks.

         Years have passed, loved ones have passed, and much of my memory seems more like a dream than a reality. But there are certain parts of my childhood that have remained alive and well in my heart. I am certain that the song has found residence in my mind after all of these years because it simply represents a warm and happy moment in my life. I write my own songs these days and this has given me a tremendous amount of joy. I'll tell you, for me, there is nothing like taking a song from a private moment of writing all the way to its fullest interpretation in the studio. It is very rewarding and hard to put into words, but I think it has something to do with completing something from my soul that will last after I'm gone. But, there is another side of me that wants to share other music with people. This music I didn't write, but I want you to listen just the same because they are a part of me, a part of my make-up. I want the listener to hear and feel what I did so long ago. 

Country artist Scott Coner

         In the past few years, I have recorded several of the songs I grew up loving. And although it's true that I have given the songs my own "feel" and interpretation, I have truly tried not to rattle the integrity of the song. A few weeks ago I recorded "Sweet Mary". I usually find a deep sense of calm while working in the studio, but this time I found myself nervous and unsure. To me, the song seems to take part of my life full circle, and I couldn't help but wonder if this didn't somehow represent a larger, more looming type circle than I was aware of. I had originally hoped to reach out to the writer and original singer of the song, Steve Jablecki, and ask if he would enjoy being a part of this recording. Sadly, I found out that he had passed away some years back. But it was fantastic to talk with his sons Matt and Marc, as well as other friends from the Rhode Island area. It was important to me that these people know, especially Steve's son's, that their dad had truly been a blessing to me even after all of this time.

Wadsworth Mansion back in 1971 (photo from the Steve Jablecki family)

         As you listen to the song, I hope it brings you the joy that it brings me. I hope you will download the song and crank it up real loud in your car, your house, and your headphones. I hope that Steve's family and friends like what we have done with the song, and I hope to come up to their neck of the woods and lift "Sweet Mary"  towards heaven all the way to Steve Jablecki.

         Before I go, I wanted to thank my aunt, Janice Coner Dye, for the songs she left behind for me to enjoy at that old farmhouse. The cool thing is she still has all of those records today! Those records are a snapshot of my life, and I will always be thankful for that moment in time.  

         To learn more about country artist Scott Coner or to hear his music, visit www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, www.ScottConer.com, or www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer.


No comments:

Post a Comment