Saturday, March 18, 2017

Do What I Say Cause’ I’m Really, Really, Smart!


                                                                               By Scott Coner
                                          Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer, and Author


     It’s pretty amazing when you think about all of the “brainiacs” who seem to have your best interest at heart. Or, at least say they do. They will tell you exactly what you need to hear if you care to listen. These are the people that like to tell you how you should live. What you should do with your career. Who you should marry, who you should divorce and why. You know whom I’m talking about right? I’m sure you have your own version of this person on your speed dial. What a gift it is to have a for real “know-it –all” at your fingertips! I have a few. Heck, I think they are drawn to me like a magnet. The truth is, I don’t have any use for them at all.



     I always let people say what they feel they need to. A few people told me not to get a divorce twenty plus years back. I didn’t listen, and I can’t tell you how glad I am I didn’t. Others told me never to get married again. They know who they are, and I hope they feel foolish as they see my wonderful daughters and my wife around town. Although, I’m sure they don’t look at things that way. They probably assume I just got lucky. Maybe I did. I’m sure that drives them wild too.



     Lately, I have been told how I should be doing music. Recently, I had someone tell me how I should be writing songs if I ever wanted to do anything with the major artists on the radio. “You have to keep it simple. Don’t take so long to get to the chorus. Give all kinds of ear candy too. And by the way, make sure you run over the chorus until they can’t stand it. Because people are stupid and they need to hear nursery rhymes set to music.” (Well, this is what I heard anyway.) Maybe it wasn’t quite like that. But I hope you get the picture.

     I had another guy tell me that if he came to one of my shows, he would walk out because my music pretty much stays the same throughout the show. Well, maybe I didn’t show him all of my dance steps. Or maybe I didn’t do my spoken word part. Or I didn’t show him how we were going to have flames and blood all over the place. I don’t even understand where he was coming from. Nearly all artists have a particular sound, don’t they? I am no different. We blend a lot of country, a bit of Christian, a bit of mid-western rock and that about covers it. This is what I am. This is who I am. I’m really not all that exciting, but I am pretty good at what I do.



     The thing is, we can’t be all things to all people, can we? We are better served to try and be who we are. I believe God made all of us different. We all have different passions, and we come at things differently. This is what makes things like art and music interesting. We need to pull it back just a bit I think. I don’t ever try to dictate what other musicians or writers should be doing within their craft. And I don’t much care for others trying to tell me how I should be doing things either. The thing about music is that it has to be from your heart or it pretty much sucks. I don’t want to be a part of something that isn’t from deep inside me. I don’t want to hear fake news, I don’t want to listen to fake music, and I don’t need people telling me what I should do all the time. I hope you feel the same. Listen to your heart. If you have a question, ask someone that is truly your friend. They won’t say things just to hurt to you or keep you down. On the other hand, if you need to be told exactly what steps to take in all matters of life, get in touch with me. I have these clown acts calling me randomly trying to “help me out.” I’m sure they would be happy to jack your day up if you feel the need. Let me know!

Keep in touch!





No comments:

Post a Comment