Monday, January 16, 2017

Carol Chase on Songwriting

                                                                By Scott Coner

                            Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer, and Author  


     This week I wanted to do a follow-up on last week’s blog about Carol Chase. Last week we discussed Carol’s time spent in LA, her transition into Nashville that finally resulted in joining Lynyrd Skynyrd. Today, I’d like to get into songwriting and her views on the subject. I think people don’t always consider the source of a song. We want to believe that every song we hear on the radio is absolutely based on real life events and this is not always the case.
     
     Last night I spoke with Carol on the telephone. She told me that from her perspective, some songs are “made up emotions I haven’t necessarily even felt before.” These are often songs that show themselves when working with co-writers. There is a much different climate in the room when working in this situation. It’s possible that songwriters don’t always get quite as personally invested when co-writing. But that doesn’t mean the songs lack conviction or application for the listener.

Carol Chase in the studio

     A great example of a song that Carol co-wrote a while back for Pam Tillis is, “Do You Know Where Your Man Is Tonight?” She co-wrote the song with Russell Smith, (Amazing Rhythm Aces/ Third Rate Romance), and Dave Gibson (Queen of Memphis and It Don’t Come Easy). This song went on to be a top ten hit for Tillis and obviously connected with many people. I personally believe that if you put two or three very talented writers in a room for a few hours that a pretty great song is going to show itself. Songwriters have a way of bouncing ideas off of each other. While writing with Carol, I have noticed that as the theme of a song begins to appear, she begins asking what the song means to me. She wants to understand where I think the song is headed. We discuss some of the points and immerse ourselves back into the material at hand.
    
     Carol says that she likes to start a song with a simple idea. “I like to follow the song and see where it goes. I have written songs and eventually recorded them.  There have been some pretty emotional moments for me during this process. I have actually had to step away from the microphone a few times because the song speaks to me so powerfully. It’s a bit odd, but I think as songwriters we are laying some of our most personal feelings out there for everyone to see. Broken relationships, failure, as well as moments of pure bliss often end up in the songs we write. In the end, we have left all of our secrets written and recorded for the ages.” 

     Songwriters are like the rest of us. There have been artists that have impacted them. Carol says that Don Henley, Anita Baker, and Marvin Gay are a few of those artists that she identifies with. “I like artists that are soulful,” Carol said. “During my career, I have written country music primarily but, there have been certain songs that could have easily gone pop or even rock with the right artist and producer.”

Scott Coner and Carol Chase in the recording of their cover song Whiter Shade of Pale by Procol Harum

     I have been fortunate in the fact that I have been able to write and record with Carol. Many of the coolest and most important lines in our songs are because of her. Her natural energy and drive works well with me. I don’t have a habit of working with people that are too laid back. I enjoy staying focused and on topic. Carol takes songwriting seriously just like me. I think this is one of the reasons that I have truly enjoyed working with her. Yes, she is in Skynyrd. But, there is an awful lot of depth to Carol. I recommend that you take the time to check her songs out. She is one of those people that you won’t forget. She is a woman with a legacy.

Keep in touch!




Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at his music page.         

No comments:

Post a Comment