Saturday, November 26, 2016

“Is it Raining at Your House?” A Conversation with Beverly Gosdin

                                                                                By Scott Coner

                                                                            Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer, and Author   



     I spoke with Beverly Gosdin for a long time today. We talked about all kinds of things, but eventually, we talked about her late husband, Vern Gosdin. As I listened to her talk, I could easily detect the pain that still lives on today as she spoke of him. She met Vern in 1976 in a Georgia bar called, “Country Roads.” By that time, he had released three minor singles, and he was beginning to be noticed in Nashville as well as country radio. Vern saw something in Beverly that caught his eye, and by the next week, he began spending all of his time with her. She traveled with him wherever he went. As his star began to rise, she was right there beside him. Before we go any farther, though, let me just say that I have been a huge, huge fan of Vern Gosdin for years. But, at the same time, I am no expert about his music or his personal life. The following information is a report based on these conversations with Beverly. When these talks began, I had no idea this was going to be the direction things were going to go. 
     Beverly is a sweet, kind, and quiet lady. I can tell she has been through far more than she ever deserved, but she is strong, and she’s a survivor. For the last two or three weeks, she and I have talked off and on. Every conversation seemed to gravitate closer to what she really wanted to tell me. To be honest, I’m not entirely sure how we even bumped into each other. I had noticed she seemed to like some of my songs, and I had sent her a message once about a friend of Verne’s from his early days working on the west coast. She mentioned two of my songs, “Into the Clouds” and “When the Angels Cry.” I was very happy that she liked my music and I was even happier that she and I became friends. I just hated to hear about the allegations of abuse.



     Vern Gosdin was blessed with an angelic voice, but he was possibly a broken man. His childhood had been something he was never able to overcome, and it haunted him until his last breath. He gave us songs that touched our souls. He could sing about a broken relationship, and the listener would swear the song had broken Vern’s own heart. He was an artist. When he applied himself, he could literally take a country song to heights no one else could ever do. I truly believe he was on the same level as George Jones. I don’t know of any other singer to compare him to. He was special. But he was still possibly broken. “Vern was a very insecure and jealous man,” said Beverly. “We were at a party once, and he wasn’t confident enough to introduce himself to Willy Nelson, so he sent me to start the conversation and kind of bring him into it. I remember being at a restaurant with Vern and the waitress asked him for an autograph. After giving the lady his signature I could tell he was embarrassed. I told him, “From now on I’ll call you something else.” Vern said, “What will you call me?” And I jokingly said, “I’ll call you Dude.” He said, “Ok then, I’ll call you Dude too.” From that day on, we never used each other’s names. We just called each other Dude. For some reason, the name just seemed to stick with me, though, and everyone in the music business always called me Dude instead of Beverly.”
     The problem with being involved in music is that it often amplifies the good as well as the bad in an individual. An artist can find themselves somewhere just outside of reality, and if they aren’t careful, they move away from the rest of us. The pain that a singer often feels is re-lived through their music. They say you can hone in on where a comedian hurts the most through their comedic material. I think the same can be said about the music a singer works with. If this is true, then it is possible that Vern’s library of music tells the story of a man that hurt at a very deep level. His feelings painted a picture that the rest of us have been standing back marveling at ever since.


      Beverly said she endured nine painful years with Vern. She said she finally got to the point where she was actually beginning to fear for her life. “The verbal abuse became physical. The threats became believable. And the violence just became all too regular for me to deal with”. She told me that, “He had never tried to seek any professional help with his emotional problems. Instead, he self-medicated with everything from cocaine to marijuana”. All control was lost, and by the ninth year of their marriage, she told me she realized that she had no choice but to leave him. She said she still loved him, but he was only getting worse at every level. She moved back home to Georgia and let Vern have everything. She took no money. She took no furniture. She only took the clothes on her back, and she started with nothing. She tried to forget, but people recognized her. It seemed that his music showed up everywhere in her little world. Four years after leaving him, she had a complete breakdown. It was her body and her mind telling her it was time to re-boot. It was time to find a new life and begin looking forward instead of living in the not too distant past.
     Years have come and gone, and Beverly has only become stronger. She has allowed herself to be known a bit through social media and will soon begin the process of promoting a book about her life with Vern Gosdin. She told me how hard it was to revisit parts of her past that only held pain. She has had to allow herself to remember things she has tried to forget. Her goal has never been to tarnish the name of her late husband. But, she wants, to tell the truth. She wants, to be honest about the abuse she endured. She told me she wants to share her life in hopes that her story can help others.

     I believe that Beverly Gosdin is about to take her past and present and do something extraordinary. Her life story will encourage other women to reconsider situations in their own lives. Her story will promote strength. She will prove that even when there doesn’t seem to be any way out, there is always a means of escape. I have purposely only touched on her life story. I want you to read her book. I want you to know her. She has built her own legacy. After going all the way down, she found a way to rise again. 
She is strong.
 She is hopeful for her future.
 She is someone we all need to know about. 
She is Beverly Gosdin.


Keep in touch!




Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at his music page.         

No comments:

Post a Comment