Monday, September 12, 2016

The Process of Writing

By Scott Coner

Nashville Recording Artist, Songwriter, Performer, and Author


     Writing songs is like trying to find a four- leaf clover in a hay field. If you search all afternoon, you probably won’t come across one. But if you don’t look too hard, it will find you. Looking back over the many songs as well as attempts at songs I have written, that seems to apply. I have got up early in the morning with nothing on my mind but writing. I put my most comfortable jeans and shirt on. I have a nice hot cup of coffee. And I sit somewhere looking blankly at a piece of paper with a guitar in my lap with nothing coming to me. On the other hand, I can get busy with life and ideas just come naturally.



Still shot of Scott Coner and Carol Chase during their "Whiter Shade of Pale" cover duet



     Carol Chase and I write together quite a bit when she isn’t on the road with Skynyrd. She may show up with a piece of a song she has written on the road. Or, I may show up with some music and an idea. We have even been “Skyping” to firm up material as we get close to a recording date. She has been writing professionally longer than I have. She has had songs recorded by Ronnie Millsap, Pam Tillis as well as others. She has recorded a song that was used on “Every Which Way But Loose.” And she has done back up vocals not only with Lynyrd Skynyrd, but George Jones, Pam Tillis, and many more legends. She understands the concept of writing a song. She has introduced me to the idea of shutting the world off, sitting in a room with many ideas at the same time and writing. She and I have actually spent whole days together and written as many as three songs in a single afternoon. At the end of it all, I can only describe the feeling as “purged” or “cleansed”. I’m not sure which.
     As far as I am concerned, music has been like a therapy to me. Without realizing what I was doing, I have gone deep into my own mind and stepped out with messages I didn’t even know where there. I think it is the process of turning off part of your mind while turning another part on that actually takes place. It all began while I was just a kid. I think I wrote songs because I didn’t play other artists songs very well. It was early on in my playing career that my limitations were what propelled me to be imaginative with what few chords that were at my disposal.

Scott Coner and Carol Chase during a writing session


     Lately, I have been working on a book called, “In Case I’m Not Around.” In the last chapter, I list all of the songs I have written so far and included the process or idea behind each song. I have done this more for my daughters than for anyone else. I just wanted them to understand why I chose to write certain things I guess. As I have worked out the list and went over so many songs, I can see the parts of me that showed themselves when I wasn’t looking. Words or phrases that have been used in my family for years have shown up in songs. As I have allowed my mind to tether out in the abyss, I found that I wasn’t really out there too far, to begin with. I am simply a product of my family. My little town, my friends, past relationships, loss and happiness all show up in the music. I have always wanted to keep my music as down to earth as possible. I don’t use a computer to find a word that rhymes or works well with another. If I don’t have the word or phrase right away, I simply wait for it to come. If someone happened to come across me while I was writing, they would probably think I had lost my mind. I will sit and play the same lines over and over until the right part comes. I may fill a void with a “dummy” line until the proper one shows itself. Like I say, I have been in the clover fields before and came up with nothing at the end of the search. But the search is part of the blessing itself. If you have ever been on a beach early in the morning looking at the sand for shells, you must know what I’m talking about. That time spent along the water's edge listening to the tide, feeling the warm sun and wind is never wasted time. 

At the end of the search, you may come up empty handed, but even then, you know you had a memorable moment that was worth the walk.    


 

Keep in touch!




Scott Coner is a country singer-songwriter who has worked in the studio with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can learn more about him and hear his music at his music page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment