Sunday, November 15, 2015

I Was Born in a Small Town


By Scott Coner
Country Artist

            I was raised in a small Indiana town. I still have a home just outside that same town, and I must ask myself, “Why?” two or three times a day. My mom and dad and other family members live here, but like me, they stay pretty busy. Any other roots in this area for me are long gone. But, there was a time, a moment really, that happened right here that would set my path for the rest of my life. And, even though I don’t actually go into the town around here often, when I do, I usually hear the ghosts from my past. I hear the music, the laughter, I see the young faces, the cars, and sometimes, I even smell the smoke.

            That special, directive moment I spoke of earlier took place when I was around 15 years old. It was the fall of my freshman year that I heard a different type of music that I had never heard. It was called Southern Rock. By the time it touched my soul, it had pretty much already come and gone. But there were still remnants of the movement such as Blackfoot and Charlie Daniels and of course, HankJr. As you already know, if you know anything about me, I truly loved this genre of music. But, there was another small band of players that I loved just as much. I still hear their music as well in my heart and memory to this day. If it hadn’t been for them, I wouldn’t be speaking to you today. I wouldn’t be singing and writing songs. I’d probably be selling shoes or selling shaved ice at the mall.

            Their names were Jeff Lewis, Frank Russell, Marty Eldridge, and Johnny Burbrink. Each of those guys were my friends. We played music together, hung out in the park downtown together, and had a pretty good time simply loving music together. Jeff and Frank were a year older. My God, those two guys were talented. They both played guitar and sang. Frank wrote songs that I still remember to this very day. He inspired me to write. Jeff could play like the wind. He introduced me to so much music, and he and I would take long country cruises listening for hours to the likes of Molly Hatchet and Skynyrd in his Pinto wagon set up with Jensen speakers. Life was good. Marty, Johnny and me were a little younger, but we played in our first band together and were pretty good for our ages I think. Although, looking back, we probably should have taken our schoolwork a little more seriously.

Scott Coner (Photo by Cyndi Coner)
            The years kept forging ahead though, and responsibility pulled us in different directions. The time for being kids without a care finally came to an end. But the time spent around these guys, my friends, was invaluable. I haven’t been around anyone since that inspired me the way each of those guys did. These young men all had different, yet important attributes that affected me. Frank wrote on and played all kinds of instruments, and his rhythm style was simple and pure. Jeff could sing very well, but his true strength was the guitar. I would sit in a chair, mesmerized as he would play Steve Gaines' licks flawlessly. Marty had a lot in common with Jeff. He was an outstanding guitarist and even as a kid was playing Gary Richrath just like the record. Johnny, my closest buddy, played well and was an exceptional fit for my music. He and I spent many hours together playing guitar. He excelled as a player as I took a different path and focused more on writing.

            The troubling part for me is they aren’t by my side now. I never wanted to be here alone. But, people change as they grow up. I like to think I did. But, my dream was to be part of a band, a gang really. Those guys gave me strength when I needed it. I either worked on my craft, or I got left behind. In the end, I suppose, I found myself alone anyway. But, it’s not like we parted company on bad terms. It was just life. For whatever reason, I have always been driven in whatever area I find myself in. If it’s time to clean out the barn, I am exhausted by day’s end. And the music is no different. I work hard at writing, networking and planning. I’m just not very good at giving up, and it’s kind of worked well for me.

            I just wish things could have worked out different for us. There are times when I wanted to call them up and give them an update, but it feels odd now. It shouldn’t have been me here at this moment. All of those guys were more talented than me. Everything I do today in the music business is from quiet, private practice. But, they were the ones that proved to me that this could be done. They were the ones that I wanted to be like.

            Today, I write and play music with some of the best players on the planet. I am very happy with the artistic freedom I have. I am happy. But, if there is one thing I could change, it would be to have each of those guys playing music with me here today. I truly miss the laughter and songs from that moment in my life. In closing, I simply wanted to thank Frank, Jeff, Marty and Johnny. You guys were the best friends somebody like me could have ever had. Each of you was a true inspiration, and I will always be grateful.

            Scott Coner is a country, Americana and Southern Rock artist who has worked with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker, T. Graham Brown and Charlie Daniels. You can hear his music and learn more about him at www.ScottConer.com, www.Facebook.com/ScottConerMusic, or www.YouTube.com/user/ScottConer.

No comments:

Post a Comment