Saturday, August 22, 2015

Kinda Like Surf City (just a little bit hotter)



By Scott Coner
Country Singer-Songwriter


            When I was about 15 years old, I had eight dairy calves I bottle fed to get ready to sell. (I went with dairy calves because I didn’t want my calves slaughtered.)

            Anyway, school started that fall, and a friend of mine told me about a television movie coming on soon I might like called “Dead Man’s Curve” about Jan Berry and Dean Torrence. Where I lived, we didn’t have but a few channel choices back then, so this was kind of big news for a guy that was addicted to “Starsky and Hutch” and “Battlestar Galactica”.


            So, the show came on, I watched it, and it was as if I had seen Jesus for the first time. I became immersed in their music to the point of being creepy. I sold my calves later that fall, but I found out that I could get a great reverb sound when I sang into my empty milk buckets if I could get past the sour milk smell. I actually played hooky from school one day so I could try to call them to let them know what a fan I was of their music.

            Most people won’t believe this, but I actually had a conversation with Dean Torrence's mother. I went through the information on the back of their “Anthology Album” and spoke to her on our rotary dial phone. (I think her name was Natalie, and she was very nice to me.)

            Looking back now all those years ago, I remember a kid stuck in "Nowhere", Ind., that loved all kinds of music. But, what I loved about the beach sound was not only the harmonies, but the innocence. Those songs told me about a time and place where the girls all had tans and blonde hair, and the guys all knew how to surf.

            A few years ago, I wrote a song comparing my world to theirs called “Kinda’ Like Surf City”. I had read that Dean Torrence was working with a group called The Surf City All-Stars, and I wanted the song pitched to them. (Yes, I’m still kind of a stalker after all these years.)

Scott... somewhere in "Nowhere", Ind.
            Well, the song never got pitched, but I recorded it myself cause’ I thought it was kind of cool. Jan Berry passed away, but one of these days I would love to tell Dean Torrence what true joy he brought to my life.  And when I get to Heaven, I’m gonna’ go bug Jan with my milk bucket for eternity.

            If you haven't visited it yet, Jan and Dean's website is a lot of fun to explore. Take a ride into the past at www.JanandDean.com.

(Country artist Scott Coner has worked with legendary artists such as Tanya Tucker and T. Graham Brown. To learn more about him or hear his music, visit http://www.ScottConer.com.)





No comments:

Post a Comment